Loyola students audition to be ‘MADE’

Loyola students audition to be MADE

Valentine’s Day might not have been the only thing that “made” an impression on Loyola’s campus. On Feb. 14, students auditioned for MTV’s “MADE” program in the Danna Center, thanks to the sponsorship of the Office of Co-Curricular Programs.

“MADE” is an MTV program that helps people with a passionate interest in an area to achieve their goal with help from a mentor in that field.

Caitlyn Chambers, psychology freshman, wanted to be “made” into a DJ.

“I love music and making people hype,” she said. “My DJ name would be DJ Trip because I’m a triplet. I like it because you can’t figure out if it’s a boy or a girl when you hear it.”

Chambers said she was excited for the opportunity to audition, but if it does not work out, she is not worried.

“They (MTV) were here, and it was convenient, so I thought I might as well try it,” Chambers said.

She thinks she would be a good pick because she’s different, interesting and fun.

“There aren’t a lot of girl DJs. Women power, right?” she said.

James Phelps, theater communication freshman, wants MTV to help him become a more successful actor. He said he has been an actor for most of his life and has spent years training, studying and traveling to become better.

Phelps approached the audition with the same attitude as Chambers did.

“I don’t have any high expectations (about the audition). I just thought it would be fun to see what happens,” Phelps said.

He said he thought he should be chosen for MADE because he has characteristics that make him stand out.

“I’m charming. Everyone likes charming people,” he said.

Phelps posted about trying out for MADE on his Facebook and said most of his friends were excited for him. “I got a lot of likes,” he said.

Heather Roundtree, director of Co-Curricular Programs, said the turnout for the event was greater than anticipated.

“The signups were slow at first but picked up quickly in the last few days,” she said.

Roundtree said the “MADE” auditions were a great opportunity for students, and many took advantage of that.

“It’s not often you get to interview with MTV,” she said. “There was strong campus interest. We even had a waiting list at one point.”

Lora Ghawaly can be reached at [email protected]