Marchers embrace New Orleans’ second line season
November 3, 2019
Hours before the We Are One second line, vendors were pushing their ice carts, cooks manned the grill, bounce music filled the air and everyone had on a comfortable pair of shoes.
The neighborhood crowded the heart of Central City, greeting each other with warm embraces and smiles that stretched entire faces. The entire blocked was lined with family members, friends, coworkers and event the occasional tourist came by.
It was a commotion of laughter, reflection and catching-up, but when the horns pierced the airwaves, everyone shouted, sang and danced.
The procession wrapped around the entire neighborhood, making sure the everyone hear their sound, from the apartments on St. Charles Ave to the cars in traffic on South Claiborne.
But if you missed out on the party, don’t worry. New Orleans is near the midway point on its second line season and there will be plenty of chances for you to march the streets of the city.
Here’s a list of the upcoming second lines:
- November 10 – Sudan (Treme)
- November 17 – Nine Times (Desire)
- November 24 – Men & Lady Buck Jumpers (Gert Town)
- December 1 – Dumaine Street Gang (Treme) / Westbank Steppers (Algiers)
- December 8 – New Generation (Central City)
- December 15 – Big Nine (7th Ward)
- December 22 – Women of Class (Central City)
- December 29 – Lady Rollers (Garden District)
- January 5 – Perfect Gentlemen (French Quarter)
- January 19 – Undefeated Divas (Treme)
- January 26 – Ladies & Men of Unity (Freret)
- February 2 – Treme Sidewalk Steppers (Treme)
- February 9 – CTC Steppers (Bywater)
- March 1 – VIP Ladies & Kids (Freret)
- March 8 – Keep N It Real (Bayou St. John)
- March 15 – Single Men (Broadmoor)
- March 22 – Revolution (French Quarter)
- April 5 – Single Ladies (Broadmoor)
- April 12 – Pigeon Town Steppers (Pigeon Town)
- April 19 – Ole & Nu Style Fellas (Treme)
- May 10 – Original Big Seven (7th Ward)
- May 17 – Divine Ladies (Garden District) / Zulu (7th Ward)
- May 24 – Money Wasters (Treme)
- June 21 – Father’s Day Parade (Central City)
- June 28 – Uptown Swingers (Uptown)