Law fraternity raises money for charity

Loyola Law School students are holding a fundraiser on March 25 to benefit the St. Bernard Project.

Students from Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity are teaming up with Bruno’s Tavern to fundraise for the St. Bernard Project, a nonprofit organization that helps Greater New Orleans citizens recover from disasters.

Jeanne St. Romain, Phi Alpha Delta philanthropy chairwoman, is in charge of the event.

“Phi Alpha Delta decided to do a fundraiser for the St. Bernard Project because it is a great charity that is helping out local families,” St. Romain said.

Because Phi Alpha Delta has been busy doing other events this semester, St. Romain said the group wanted to use this as a chance to have all members volunteer together.

“Our members still wanted to do something to help, so we decided a fundraiser would be a fun way to raise some money for the St. Bernard Project,” St. Romain said.

Ann Williams, development director of the St. Bernard Project, is glad to see Phi Alpha Delta contributing to the organization.

“Living here, it can be really easy to just go about your day with blinders on, but the truth is, with over 100 clients on our waiting list waiting to move back into their homes, there’s still a lot of work to be done. We get about 10 calls a week from people looking for help, so we need help as much now as we ever did,” Williams said.

The St. Bernard Project helps build and restore homes in the community that have been damaged by hurricanes. The organization has rebuilt homes for over 500 families in the Greater New Orleans area.

The fundraiser will be held at Bruno’s Tavern on Monday, March 25 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. During that time, when the St. Bernard Project is mentioned, 25 percent of all sales made during that time will be donated to the fundraiser.

David Melius, owner of Bruno’s Tavern, is looking forward to helping with the event.

“We try to support Loyola Law School students in many of their service projects. The St. Bernard project was certainly a worthy cause and we wanted to help support the students with our offer to host their fundraiser,” Melius said. “Hopefully we will have a great crowd that has a lot of fun, and gets excited about the St. Bernard Project.”

There will also be a raffle for gift baskets from businesses such as NOLA Brewing Co., Whimsy and the Blue Jeans Bar at the event.

“We always need more funding to buy the building supplies and materials to keep these volunteers busy so we can get our clients home faster. That’s why these fundraisers are so important,” Williams said. “To see such a great effort by a group of local folks, it’s twice as special. We hope Phi Alpha Delta’s fundraiser will be a great success, and inspire others to follow suit.”

Alicia Serrano can be reached at [email protected]