LUPD starts Uptown patrols

Loyola joins Tulane in patrolling off campus
LUPD’s patrol car sits outside Loyola’s police station. The car will be used to patrol the Uptown area at night.
WADNER PIERRE/THE MAROON

The Loyola University Police Department will join the Tulane University Police Department in its routine off-campus vehicle patrols to combat crime.

LUPD is working to ensure the safety and security of students by patrolling in a new Dodge Charger alongside TUPD and the New Orleans Police Department. Last semester, there was an agreement between NOPD, TUPD and LUPD to increase off-campus patrols, shortly after Tulane students launched the “It’s Not Enough” campaign. This campaign was started to call attention to the university area crime problem and the lack of what students considered “an appropriate response.” LUPD planned on beginning its patrols this last week, the first week of October, said Patrick Bailey, the Chief of Loyola’s police department.

“So students can see us, we can answer questions and we can respond if they had something that dealt with Loyola. So you’re gonna have Tulane, you’re gonna have NOPD, and you’re gonna have Loyola. Not just on campus but around the campus,” said Chief Bailey.

Technical issues still need to be handled before LUPD can start regularly patrolling. Vehicle radios are in the process of being interconnected between the three departments. Communication is a crucial element for all departments when out on the streets. A level of training also has to occur, said Roger Pinac, Captain of Loyola’s police department.

Once everything comes together, LUPD will have a patrol unit going 5 days a week from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. including weekends, said Bailey.

“So when you look during that time, when they’re at the bars and they’re all coming back or going back and forth. That’s what we try to concentrate on, so they see us and they will feel comfortable coming back and walking,” said Bailey.

Although Tulane police have already begun regular patrols of the university area, LUPD will be a welcomed help, said Richard Potts, Chief of Tulane’s police department.

“We don’t have enough resources. Not any police department has enough resources, so this combining and becoming partners is so important. In the second district, it’s really working,” said Potts.

The crime rate around the university area has seemingly declined since the patrols have started, said Potts. However, there is always a chance of spikes in criminal activity throughout the year. A vehicle added to the streets may mean added safety to the community.

“When you look at the size of second district, or even the whole city, that’s a lot of streets and places to be. It’s about resources and if you have enough, and most police departments don’t. They can’t be everywhere,” said Potts.

Students should still utilize the Safe Ride shuttle, which can be reached at 504-314-7233, or take a cab home, said Pinac. Students should also always keep an eye on their surroundings when walking after dark.

LUPD Chief Bailey enters LUPD headquarters on Sept. 20. Bailey was a proponent of off-campus patrolling. (Wadner Pierre/Photo Editor)