Provost Ed Kvet finishes final term

Edward Kvet, provost and vice president for academic affairs, in his office Wednesday, March 21. Kvet will retire after this semester.
Kevin Zansler/photo managing ediitor

Ed Kvet, provost and vice president of Academic Affairs, has planned some of the biggest projects on campus. Most recently he has been responsible for planning the renovation of Monroe Hall and the revamping of the common curriculum. At the end of this semester, he is going to start a new project: retirement.

He announced last semester that he would retire from his position at the end of this academic year.

Lydia Voigt, senior vice provost of Academic Affairs, said she has high regards for Kvet.

“Dr. Kvet has so many wonderful qualities. His leadership style is collaborative and inclusive; he is open to new and innovative ideas and suggestions,” she said in an email. “He is very easy to work with. He is very supportive and appreciative of everyone’s contributions, and he has a great sense of humor. He is one of those people who looks at the glass half full rather than half empty, and as a result, he has a very positive and energizing effect (i.e., that all things are possible) on everyone working with him.”

Kvet is responsible for leading numerous committees and overseeing major projects, such as the revision of the Common Curriculum and the Monroe renovations. He chose to leave at this time as he and the construction committees have taken care of the planning.

“It is an appropriate time since there will be a break,” he said. “It will give the new provost the chance to move ahead and put their own identity on things.”

University President the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., named Kvet provost in 2008 to help get the university in order after Hurricane Katrina. His intention was only to serve as provost for two to three years, but those couple of years turned into four years.

Before becoming provost, Kvet served as associate dean and then dean of the College of Music and Fine Arts.

Vice President for Student Affairs and Associate Provost Cissy Petty has worked with Kvet on numerous projects.

“Ed has been a terrific provost. He understands the important nexus between Academic and Student Affairs.

We’ve collaborated on a number of important ideas, decisions and programs. At the end of the day, I respect and admire that he is both a music educator and performer,” Petty said in an email. “Said another way, he can be at the 30,000-foot view of a project or situation and too, see it to completion. He is strategic and maximizes the talents of others with a great sense of humor. He will be missed.”

Mass communication senior Kate Gremillion, who served as Student Government Association president last year, said she believes Kvet has strong leadership skills.

“Dr. Kvet was a great provost and leader. He was very intentional about keeping students at the forefront of the conversation concerning anything with the university. He has definitely left a great legacy of leadership,” Gremillion said in an email.

Kvet said he wanted to teach college courses and achieved that and much more during his time at Loyola.

“I will of course miss the students, faculty and staff, as well as the intellectual stimulation. A university is a place for rigor and debate, which I love,” Kvet said. “Loyola has a clear identity; it knows who it is.”

Voigt says she and the rest of the faculty will miss Kvet.

“I know that I speak for many in saying, thank you, Dr. Kvet, for your enthusiastic and visionary leadership and for making a difference in the life and learning of our students, and thank you for your contribution in moving our remarkable campus to the next level of greatness,” Voigt said. “We wish you all the best and all the happiness in the world as you embark upon your next adventure.”

Hannah Iannazzo can be reached at hbiannaz@loyno

View Comments (2)