Students kick it in the quad

Hacky sack popular on Loyola’s campus
Students kick it in the quad
PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY KATE SCHLESINGER

One of the identifiable aspects of Loyola’s campus culture is the spontaneous of hacky-sackers near the Peace Quad. They can be seen as students rush to class—a group formed in a circle outside of the library, kicking away at a small ball in the same way one would juggle a soccer ball.

For political science sophomore Conor Hyatt, hacky sack is a relatively new concept. After having a few friends introduce him to it, he said he was hooked.

“I never really heard of it until I got into college” Hyatt said. “It’s a really easy sport, it’s extremely enjoyable.”

The idea of hacky sack—also referred to as footbag—involves someone juggling a small cloth ball with the feet and passing it along to other players without ever letting it hit the ground. The concept is simple yet it has peaked the curiosity of Loyola students on campus. Hyatt said that students passing by occasionally stop to take a closer look.

“We always invite them in,” Hyatt said. “It’s really easy for anybody to join into.”

William Finn, history sophomore, said he knows firsthand the joys of being a hacky sack enthusiast, learning the basics of the game in middle school.

“I got better and learned a few tricks,” Finn said. “Saw a few tricks that I still want to learn because they’re just too great.”

Finn agreed with Hyatt that hacky sack is an extremely social activity but also pointed out that playing in such a public place adds an interesting element.

“People look at us weird sometimes,” Finn said. “I think some people walking by have been kicked before.”

Regardless of the possibility of being hit by a flying hacky sack ball, both Finn and Hyatt said that anyone on campus should join in and that there’s no pressure to play exceptionally.

“Everyone is pretty bad at first,” Finn said. “Some people are just horrible. But you learn.”

Camara Thomas can be reached at [email protected]