Editorial: Communicate with friends and family

While juggling school, social events, work and extracurricular activities, it is easy to get caught up in the college bubble. Our classes and our friends are confined to a five-block area, especially if we live on campus. Our undergraduate cohort is small, and it is obvious – especially as the Loyno Confessions page continues to gain popularity – that Loyola is very involved in its community. This is a good thing; however, it is important to remember where we come from – our parents, family and mentors that shaped us into who we are today.

Sometimes, it is easy to forget how much we’re missing at home until we are reminded. A member of our staff recalls when her sister, a high school sophomore, called for advice because she had her first peer pressure incident. Another member of our staff recalls being startled when she spoke to her brother on the phone and realized his voice had changed.

One of our Jesuit values is cura personalis, care of the whole person – an individual’s gifts, talents, needs and insights. We must not only nurture our growth at school, but also remember our lives outside of school. Balance is an important part of cura personalis, and we must balance our personal and academic involvement.

Luckily, there are plentyof apps to help us keep in contact with our parents, siblings and childhood friends. Obviously, picking up the phone or shooting off a text still works, but Skype, Facetime and Snapchat can help us see our loved ones while we talk or communicate with our youngest family members – or even our beloved pets.

Communication is important. No matter how insignificant the communication may be, it still reminds friends and family that we are thinking about them

As we celebrate Family Weekend at Loyola, take a moment to think about the people who raised you. Since they were a part of your childhood, allow them to be part of your transition into adulthood. It’s easy to forget sometimes that there is a whole world happening outside of New Orleans, but try not to neglect your loved ones. Use them as a resource and for advice, because some of them have been your age before and – though it’s hard to believe – have experienced situations similar to the situations you face now.