EDITORIAL: Wolves on the Prowl is a way to give back to the community

AT ISSUE: The annual service event is a primary example of social justice at the university

After thriving off of all the great things New Orleans has to offer, Loyola can give something back through Wolves on the Prowl.

Through Wolves on the Prowl, which will take place on Nov. 7, Loyola students and alumni will have the chance to work on different projects around the city.

The projects cover a wide range of service. They include school beautification at the Success Prep Academy and planting fruit orchards in the Ninth Ward. For one project, a field day with students of Good Shepherd School, students will not even need to leave campus to participate. It will take place right in the Residential Quad.

It is laudable of Loyola to offer these service opportunities. Wolves on the Prowl is proof of the university’s strong emphasis on social justice. Although many Loyola students already participate in community service, Wolves on the Prowl offers projects on a greater scale, encouraging more students to get involved.

Even though this is the 10th year of Wolves on the Prowl, it seems the yearly event has taken on greater significance after Hurricane Katrina. Community service has played an important role in the rebuilding efforts after Hurricane Katrina. Wolves on the Prowl  is a  way to take part in this

Through events like Wolves on the Prowl, Loyola is exemplifying what it means to be a social justice university. Students should take advantage of this opportunity to support the community.