Fight showcases Loyola student

Kickboxing event spotlights freshman
ELIZABETH KUNZIG/The Maroon
Nooh Hindi (left) and Devin Parker (right) face-off against one another at the Friday Night Fight, hosted at Marlene’s Place.

English writing freshman and lightweight kickboxer Michael “The Hurricane” Sanchez took first place at the Friday Night Fight at Marlene’s Place on Tchoupitoulas Street on April 29.

The event was held to raise interest in the sport of kickboxing and help build a fan base for the fighters.

The matches featured Sanshou kickboxing, considered by some to be the sport’s most vicious form. The house rules allowed any kick or punch “known to man.”

Lydia Hand, co-owner of Marlene’s, said she hopes to rebuild the New Orleans fight scene and continue hosting fight nights at the bar.

Steven “Spyder” Hemphill is also co-owner and Sanchez’s trainer at the God of War Mixed Martial Arts gym.

According to Hemphill, he’s been training Sanchez for almost two months. He described Sanchez as fearless, intelligent and a force to be reckoned with.

“He has a heart bigger than he is,” Hemphill said.

Hemphill said he expects to see Sanchez compete in Orlando for a chance to represent the U.S. at the International Chinese Martial Arts Championship in the Bahamas.

The first lightweight matchup of the night was between Sanchez and Andre Pounds.

After his fourth takedown by Sanchez at the end of the second round, Pounds proved to be too weak to continue on to the third, and Sanchez was declared the winner.

In the final match of the night, Sanchez faced off against Devin Parker.

Sanchez had previously fought Parker in a match that ended in a tie. Sanchez said he considered it a defeat, so it proved to be Sanchez’s opportunity to reclaim victory.

After three rounds, both fighters were weakened, but still standing. Sanchez was declared the winner and lightweight champ by judge’s decision.

Melvin “Hopper Grass” Ruffin, former State Kickboxing Champion, decided the fight’s outcome.

Ruffin said he thought the match could go either way until he noticed that Parker was unable to bounce back from Sanchez’s takedowns, or “throws.”

” (Sanchez) focused more on hand and foot coordination,” Ruffin said. “(Parker) wasn’t prepared for the throws, so he tried to box it out, but he couldn’t stop the throws.”

According to Ruffin, Sanchez put more effort into the match, which was a main factor in declaring him the winner.

Sanchez’s consistent throws knocked the wind out of Parker, making it difficult for him to fight back.

“He (Parker) ran out of gas,” Ruffin said.

After the win, Sanchez said he was tired and cramped but felt good.

“This kid’s on fire!” said Danny Kelley, philosophy sophomore.

Sanchez left Marlene’s Place a champion that night.

“I don’t throw punches, I throw people,” Sanchez said.

Scott O’Brien can be reached at [email protected]

Steven “Spyder” Hemphill (center) raises English writing freshman Michael Sanchez’s arm (left) in victory after Sanchez defeated Andre Pounds (right) in 2 rounds. After four takedowns, Pounds was too weak and unable to continue with the fight. (ELIZABETH KUNZIG/The Maroon)