Student rap group creates third cypher video

PHOTO COURTESY OF SIMON HILL
Simon Hill, music industry junior, also known as “Top Billion,” raps in the third cypher video. Hill leads the cypher, a freestyle rap group.

The Loyola student cypher is nothing short of lyrical kung fu.

Cyphers consist of rappers getting together to display their rap skills through their lyrics, rhymes and flow over a continuous beat. Music industry junior Simon “Top Billion” Hill created and will premiere the third Loyola University cypher YouTube video on April 19. He will be accompanied by other Loyola music industry students.

Hill said that he has always admired musicians and would not settle for any other career.

“I grew up looking up to rappers like they were superheroes,” Hill said.

Hill was inspired to create the Loyola cypher after being a part of a Monroe, La. cypher.

“It clicked in my head that I could be doing this for people that I know,” Hill said.

Hill said that the recording process takes about a month. Before he can record, Hill must wait for the other rappers to send him their verses. Then he makes sure the work has quality. He admits that the first two cyphers were open to everyone, but he has become more selective the third time around.

Alex Camero, music industry sophomore, said he feels that some people didn’t take the first two cyphers seriously, which is why he appreciates Simon’s selectivity for the third version.

“It may make you look better being around people who aren’t going hard, but I don’t appreciate that. It’s a team effort. I want everyone on the team killing it,” Camero said.

Camero said he’s all about teamwork, but that doesn’t stop him from wanting to outperform everyone.

“I’m competitive and collaborative. Put it like this, I like to collaborate, and I like to go hard in what I do. It’s friendly competition,” Camero said.

Zack “U.G. Royal” Pierre, music industry junior, said that he joined the cypher to build awareness about his radio show and show off his talent.

“I felt like I was better than a lot of people, and I might as well just do it,” Pierre said.

Business finance senior Roderick “Rodo” Johnson shows that music industry students are not the only rappers on campus. He said his main goal is to redeem himself from the second cypher.

“I think that the first one was awesome, but the second one was just weird. I think that the delivery could definitely use some work and just getting my point across is a big thing,” Johnson said.

Johnson, along with the other rappers, respects Hill’s initiative to continue the Loyola cypher and is happy to be on his list every time. Johnson thinks the cypher is a cool idea.

“You always saw cyphers on the award shows and things like that. It’s good to get back to the roots of hip-hop.” Johnson said.

Shannon “Shay Briggs” Briggs, music industry junior, said she likes bringing “girl power” to the cyphers. She described her verses as never profane, degrading or offensive to anyone. She said she’s proud of her upcoming cypher verse.

“It’s going to be tight. It’s definately going to be a jaw-dropper. I plan on going hard on everybody,” Briggs said.

Shannon encourages everyone to watch the cypher and support fellow students.

“There’s a lot of people from this school that are about to do big things,” Shannon said, “you should definitely support that because one day we’re going to be on MTV, and you’re going be like, ‘I went to school with her, she was in my chemistry class.'”

Diana Mirfiq can be reached at [email protected]