Fashion Week New Orleans returns for third year

Models walk in a fashion show put on by Vernon Clothing boutique at last year’s event. Vernon Clothing is a featured retailer this year.
PHOTO COURTESY OF NEW ORLEANS FASHION WEEK

Walking down the catwalk looking fabulous is a dream for many girls, and for one Loyola student that dream came true. Aleksandra Golanka, accounting junior, had no idea when she was approached while working on a movie set that she would soon be chosen as one of the lucky few to model in Fashion Week New Orleans.

Golanka is part of a select few chosen to walk in the third annual Fashion Week New Orleans. This year’s Fashion Week will be held from March 20 – 24 at the Sugar Mill. The event will consist of networking opportunities, pop- up boutiques and over 50 runway shows presented by local boutiques and upcoming and renowned regional fashion designers. Fashion Week New Orleans also hosts two competitions, the Top DesignCompetition and premiering this year is the Model Walk-Off.

The Top Design Competition helps boost one lucky designer’s career. The winner will receive a prize package worth over $2,500. Top Design Competition 2011 winner, Anthony Ryan, is the most recent winner of Project Runway All Stars. The Model Walk-Off will give two models a scouting trip to Los Angeles.

Loyola students are buzzing with anticipation for the event. Hillary Cormier, mass communication sophomore, is thrilled for Fashion Week New Orleans.

“For New Orleans to emulate Fashion Week is a sign that there are a lot of people here that are interested in it,” Cormier said.

Sara Kobes, marketing and international business junior, has the opportunity of being an intern for Fashion Week New Orleans.

Kobes found the job on Employola. She originally worked for a fashion magazine here in New Orleans but after the death of her late boss, Kobes started looking for a new job. In October she began working on social media for the event.

“I really, really, really, like what I do,” Kobes said.

A lot of work goes into getting ready for the event. Open casting calls were held in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette and Gulfport. A total of 400 girls tried out, but only 80 were chosen. The models were divided between 60 designers and retailers.

This event is a great stepping stone for young eager models like Golanka. This will be her second season walking in a New Orleans fashion show. In the fall, Golanka went to an open casting call for Fashion Week New Orleans and was chosen. By doing these events, Golanka has had the opportunity to meet modeling scouts from many different agencies. She said doing events like Fashion Week New Orleans is a great way for models to build up their portfolios.

“It’s pretty good exposure. You get to work really closely with different designers,” Golanka said.

For Nia LaBranche, international business sophomore, this year will be her first time attending the event. LaBranche is an avid fashion television show fan and said it helps her keep up with the trends. LaBranche feels that the fashion culture is slowly starting to blossom in New Orleans.

“It’s not as big as in New York or Paris or anything, but I think it’s definitely growing in importance,” LaBranche said.

Creative director of the event Tracee Dundas feels that New Orleans is the perfect place to hold a fashion week.

“New Orleans has always had a distinct fashion presence; however, it may have taken a backseat to the other creative industries in the city; such as music, the arts and film, which all have gain national prominence. It is because of the overall creativity and the natural cultural spirit that exists that the fashion industry in New Orleans is embraced, appreciated and receiving the deserved recognition globally,” Dundas said.

Unlike other fashion weeks, Fashion Week New Orleans features clothing that is ready-to- wear as opposed to avant-garde couture. The clothing seen in the show can be worn by anyone, unlike in other fashion shows where pieces are created more as works of art. This important difference helps local designers use Fashion Week New Orleans as a platform to promote their lines.

“The mission of New Orleans Fashion Week is to increase awareness of Gulf Coast and Southern designers, building a synergy between designers an retailers,” Dundas said.

Raquel Derganz Baker can be reached at [email protected]

A model shows off a dress by designer Nathan Walker at the 2012 Fashion Week New Orleans. Walker is a contestant in this year’s Top Design Competition. (PHOTO COURTESY OF NEW ORLEANS FASHION WEEK)