Editorial: The window should be accessible to all students

When you think of the window, do you think of a time to relax, or do you think of it as a time to prioritize the several events that take place during it?

On Tuesdays and Thursdays at Loyola, the time between 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. is known as the window, a time when students do not have class and can take a break, do homework and hold club meetings.

This can mean that the window is also, on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Loyola, a period between 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. when every organization on campus is having a meeting, advertising events and panhandling in the Danna Center. Taking into account the amount of activities taking place during the twice-a-week time period, one may question the effectiveness of the window.

First, the window does not necessarily pertain to all students, making the term “window” less like an actual window and more like a pane of frosted glass. For example, the window leaves out music majors. All music majors must attend recital hour, a class offered on Thursdays during the window. Some music majors also have a master class on Tuesday during the window, which means that a significant portion of the student population is missing when it comes time to schedule club meetings, advertisement and fundraising.

Second, the sheer amount of events taking place during the window makes attendance at club meetings difficult. Some clubs offer free food at window meetings, which takes out the complication of the window coinciding with people’s meals. However, if there are several club meetings during the window, students can only go to one, and this is not taking into account the number of students who decide to use the window as naptime. Several of us have been to that one club meeting during the window, scheduled in a lonely room in the back of the library – because all the other meeting rooms with windows have been taken by the other club meetings – with three people in attendance. Effective club meetings therefore may have to take place at other times.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays at Loyola, the period between 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. can be a very stressful time. Get proper input before you decide that the window is a good meeting time. Keep in mind that university-wide events, like Take Care of Yourself Tuesday, often take place during the window and people may want to attend. Keep in mind that your event is probably one of at least 20 other events happening during the window. Consider other meeting times by talking to members in your group. The least we can do is try to make the window less stressful and more of what it was intended to be – a break.