Library aims to conserve ink, paper

ELLE MALONEY/ Photo Editor
In an effort to conserve paper and ink, a new policy now forces students to have to wait for library attendants to sort through print-outs before retreiving their work.

This year, in an effort to conserve paper and ink, Monroe Library librarians moved the printers from the copy room to behind the learning commons desk.

The library employees said it was common for people to print pages repeatedly when they did not see their papers coming out of the machine, leading to wasted paper and ink.

“It was a group of us from the Learning Commons, Media Services and the dean’s office, and we came to that decision together,” said Ria Newhouse, Monroe librarian.

By doing this, librarians said they help students conserve paper.

“If we see that someone is printing out a Powerpoint presentation with one slide per page, we can offer to show the student how to print multiple slides per page so that they have that option the next time,” said Mary Finnan, Learning Commons librarian.

There are also handouts and tutorials on the Monroe Library website under the Get Help section about different ways to conserve paper through printing.

Music performance junior William Howard said the move was a little inconvenient.

“I thought the printers being closer to the computers were less of a hassle, instead of walking to the counter and back each time,” he said.

But history senior Kim Vu said she was indifferent. “It’s not like it’s an 8-mile walk up there,” she said.

Chantel Jackson can be reached at [email protected]