Service learning offers new programs this year

Service Learning, conceived with the Jesuit spirit of learning while giving in mind, is a growing program at Loyola University designed to help the community and students.

Service Learning is different from other service activities at Loyola because it is for an academic course.

This semester there are about 35 classes that have service learning, including biology, sociology, Spanish and first-year seminars.

Currently, Service Learning is not a requirement, but students are still looking to get involved.

This is not surprising when one sees the number of opportunities available to students. Director for Service Learning, Kelly Brotzman said that, this year, there are several new organizations that students in the Service Learning program can work for.

Each summer, Loyola receives inquiries from new agencies that would like to have members from Service Learning work with them.

The new agencies chosen, which include transitional shelters, tutoring programs, children’s after school programs and environmental advocacy groups.

The purpose of Service Learning is to learn by doing.

“The idea is that what you learn in class from books, articles and discussions will be strengthened by the learning you get from outside. You can actually learn more about the subject you are studying by real world experience,” Brotzman said.

Students interesting in getting involved can do so either as a student volunteer or by signing up for a class with a Service Learning component.

This year, as part of his first-year seminar class, international business freshman Ryan Lilly went to Casa Oportunidades and taught a El Salvadorianman, Veny, basic computer skills.

“I taught him how to check his e-mail, how to get online, and even helped him understand the basic keys on the keyboard,” Lilly said.

“I really enjoyed sharing some of my time to assist Veny and look forward to helping others in the weeks to come,” she said.

Service Learning continues to grow in popularity because students and faculty see how it is an important part of life and the education students receive at Loyola.

Alexandra Dacy can be reached at [email protected]