College of Law students gain experience with clerkships

Patrick Reagin, 3L common law student

Hours of research and studying are about to pay off for two 3L College of Law students as they will soon have the chance to apply their lessons to the real world.

Patrick Reagin, 3L common law student, and Sara Ochs, 3L law student, were each granted clerkships with judges in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.

Reagin, who will begin a one-year term with Judge Ivan L.R. Lemelle this July, said he feels his clerkship will help him in the long run because of the duties he will be expected to perform.

“My understanding is that the federal clerk’s basic duties entail reviewing the pleading filed by parties, researching the legal issues presented in a case and making recommendations to the judge on the application of the law to a particular case,” Reagin said.

Reagin said he felt fortunate to have the support of Loyola Law faculty, including professors Robert Garda, Craig Senn and Johanna Kalb, who wrote Reagin’s recommendations.

“As someone who is interested in the potential of entering legal academia after private practice, a federal clerkship is viewed as an extremely valuable credential,” Reagin said.

Ochs said she will begin her clerkship with Judge Carl Barbier in August of this year.

Ochs said that during the clerkship application process, she applied with judges in a number of cities throughout the country and was excited to be given the opportunity to interview with Eastern District of Louisiana, which was her first choice.

Ochs said the application process was an extensive one, which was done through an online system. She said she had to submit samples of legal writings, a transcript, a resume and recommendations.

Ochs said that after her year long term, she will be working at Simon, Peragine, Smith and Redfearn, a firm in downtown New Orleans.

“Being able to see the perspective from behind the bench will be immensely helpful in a future of litigation,” Ochs said.

Raquel Derganz Baker may be reached at [email protected] 

Sara Ochs, 3L law student (The Maroon)