Friends become family during holiday season

Students+break+bread+with+friends+this+Thanksgiving%2C+forging+strong+communal+bonds+and+saving+money%2C+by+savoring+dorm+life.+

Zach Brien

Students break bread with friends this Thanksgiving, forging strong communal bonds and saving money, by savoring dorm life.

Davis Walden

web2

While most will be traveling home to break bread with family, some Loyola students are saving money and time by feasting with friends.

This will be Madi Fox’s first time away from home for Thanksgiving. Like many other students, the international business sophomore will be staying on campus during the break.

“I’d much rather not spend the 400 dollars for a flight there and back,” Fox said about a flight back home to California.

For the same reasons, Nicole Wilkinson, political science freshman, will be staying over Thanksgiving break as well. It will be Wilkinson’s first Thanksgiving away from her home in Nicaragua.

“The fare is too expensive,” Wilkinson said, “and I don’t have a car, so I’d have to rely on someone to drop me off and pick me up from the airport.”

However, transportation costs aren’t stopping Fox or Wilkinson from celebrating Thanksgiving in their own ways.

“The plans are still a bit iffy,” Fox said, “but the main idea is to have a family dinner type thing with all my friends that are staying.” Fox plans to make spiced peaches, ham and a dessert.

“This is something my roommate and I have been talking about,” Wilkinson said. “So I’m sure we’ll invite more people when we have a concrete plan.”

Residential Life has events planned for the students staying at Loyola during Thanksgiving Break, such as Black Friday Shopping, a football tournament, board games, movie marathons and a Thanksgiving meal in the Orleans Room. Res Life will also be partaking in a community service project on Saturday, Nov. 29; the project is to be announced.

The Biever Hall community director, Brandon Williams will be spending his first Thanksgiving at Loyola as well.

“I’m really looking forward to the service project, as well as thanksgiving dinner with students,” Williams said.

At the Orleans Room, there will be turkey, yams, green beans, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin and apple pie, and bread pudding, according to Williams.

As for political science senior, Tony Cheramie, he will be saving money and staying in New Orleans this Thanksgiving.

“My family is getting together out of state and I can’t afford to meet them, so obviously the next best thing is getting friends together for drinks, good food, and appreciation of Native American cultures,” Cheramie said. “As far as food goes, I’m a purist. Some sort of fabulously roasted fowl with lots of sides. Simple and lovely. Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday, it combines a sense of togetherness with cultural awareness.”