SGA pleased with Loup Garou turnout

Concert proceedes with minor glitches and the crowd flocks to the Howling Wolf for lineup that consists of performers from Loyola and afar
Matisyahu+performs+at+the+Howling+Wolf+for+SGA%E2%80%99s+spring+concert%2C+Loup+Garou.+
PHOTO BY SANTIAGO CAICEDO/Assitant Photo Editor
Matisyahu performs at the Howling Wolf for SGA’s spring concert, Loup Garou.

Loyola’s annual spring concert, Loup Garou, went off with a bang last week at the Howlin’ Wolf. The concert featured Loyola’s own Erika Flowers, a Passion Pit DJ set and Matisyahu, the headliner.

“I thought the event was a great success. It was reflected in the number of students there and the great feedback we have been receiving,” said Kate Gremillion, Student Government Association president and mass communication junior.

According to Michael Morin, SGA vice president and music education senior, there was a “great” turnout. An estimated 750 people came to the concert.

“I thought it went really well. Matisyahu was amazing, and an awesome performer, which alone made the whole event worth the price of the ticket,” said Shelby Gale, psychology freshman.

Though they are still calculating the profits from the ticket sales, Morin thinks that SGA spent between $45,000 and $50,000 on the event. It seems that it was well worth it though, as the feedback has been very positive from students, Morin said.

Morin said that SGA was very happy with the choices they made for the performers this year. He said they chose Matisyahu to perform because that type of music hasn’t been offered in the past few years, and they wanted to reach out to a different part of the student body.

“My favorite part of the event was definitely Matisyahu. He is one of my favorite artists, and I know that he is quite popular amongst the students,” Morin said.

“Matisyahu was totally worth it… He is such an amazing performer, especially live,” said Allegra Hartman, women’s studies junior.

Morin said that overall, the event went very well , but there were a few issues that arose. Since it was the first time that SGA has held the event at the Howlin’ Wolf, there were a few miscommunications between SGA and the Howlin’ Wolf about the length of the opener’s sets. Erika Flowers’ set was cut short and the Passion Pit DJ set had to go on after Matisyahu.

Flowers said, “The event went smoothly, considering some last-minute changes. It worked out either way. I just felt bad because a lot of my friends were waiting outside on the line to get in and didn’t get to experience such a great opportunity with me.”

Morin said that SGA definitely could have improved on ticket sales and advertising leading up to the event, but they were busy figuring out paperwork for the Howlin’ Wolf. “We will know better for next year,” he said.

Flowers suggested that they should have advertised more to the New Orleans population because there are a lot of people in the area who would have loved to have seen Matisyahu as well.

Though it seemed to be predominantly Loyola students, some Tulane students went, including Claire Crilley, a public health freshman.

“I really enjoyed the show. I thought it was a good crowd and I really liked Matisyahu. He even stuck around after the show to hang out with the students! It was a great experience,” Crilley said.

Flowers said, “I have heard nothing but great things about this event from those who were there, and people who weren’t there wished they had gone after hearing so many good things about it.”

Kristen Himmelberg can be reached at [email protected]

Erika Flowers opens for Matisyahu after winning Loyola’s Battle of the Bands. (PHOTO BY SANTIAGO CAICEDO/Assitant Photo Editor)

Around 750 people came to the event. (PHOTOS BY SANTIAGO CAICEDO/Assitant Photo Editor)

Matisyahu’s band performs at the Howlin’ Wolf. (PHOTO BY SANTIAGO CAICEDO/Assitant Photo Editor)

Music industry studies junior Angie Gonzalez and music industry studies sophomore cheer for Erika Flowers. (PHOTO BY SANTIAGO CAICEDO/Assitant Photo Editor)