Students share creepy stories about the university’s past

It’s safe to say that most people who decide to live on a college campus don’t think there may be a lingering spirit or two waiting around the corner for them. Here at Loyola, there are residents who say they have experienced some weird things living on campus.

Sam Winstrom, Maroon managing editor and mass communication junior, said he had an encounter with the unexpected in his room in Buddig Hall one late night after leaving Monroe Library.

“He (my suitemate) said, ‘There is something standing by the door,'” Winstrom said. “There is a shadow coming from underneath the door.'”

Winstrom knew there was nothing at the door because he had just come in, but climbed out of bed to prove it. Before he could open the door, his suitemate stopped him.

“I looked through the peep hole. No one was there, but there was a shadow coming from underneath the door like somebody was sitting there,” Winstrom said.

After 20 minutes passed, Winstrom had enough. It was late, he was tired, and didn’t take the shadow seriously. After bickering one last time with his suitemate, to prove it was nothing, he finally just opened the door. No one was in sight. Then, movement caught Winstrom’s eye.

“After I closed the door, we saw the shadow slowly move across the floor until it disappeared,” Winstrom said.

Some students are unaware that Marquette Hall used to house a dental school. To gain a better understanding of their subjects, students used to study cadavers in that building.

“There is a door at the end of our 3rd floor hall that opens out into the Marquette Theatre, and that is where they use to lower the cadavers down. When we did renovation in Marquette Theatre about 15 years ago, we found the original raised platform under the stage that held the cadaver table,” said Georgia Gresham, chairwoman of the theater department.

The theater department still uses the original cadaver table to mix paint on, since it is stainless steel.

History senior Garrett Fontenot said that during his time as a desk assistant and a resident assistant in Buddig Hall, his residents reported a variety of incidents.

Many Buddig residents report objects mysteriously falling off their shelves in the middle of the night and ghostly figures appearing in pictures taken in front of mirrors.

Fontenot also said that two Buddig residents once reported seeing the figure of a little girl go out of the elevator but then mysteriously disappear.

Sable Lefrere can be reached at