Catholic education teaches morality, says Aymond

Educators should reach out to students who struggle
Loyola kicks off the Presidential Centennial Guest Series with guest speaker the Most Rev. Gregory Michael Aymond. Aymond is the fourteenth and current archbishop of New Orleans, and first New Orleans native to serve as archbishop of New Orleans.
SHAMARA KING/ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Catholic education is a blessing but still has its setbacks according to Archbishop Gregory Aymond.

Aymond spoke about the positives and negatives of Catholic higher education on Sept. 20 in Rousell Hall. Aymond’s lecture was the first from the Presidential Centennial Lecture series.

After his speech, he welcomed responses from a panel of people involved in Catholic higher education.

The panel included the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., university president; Norman Francis, Xavier University President; and Ronald Ambrosetti, Our Lady of Holy Cross College President.

Aymond stressed the importance of preparing students to graduate and go out in the world to make a difference.

“Our students should be able to go out and ask the tough questions about morality,” he said.

Aymond also stressed that students should find themselves and also learn their strengths and weaknesses, during their time in college. He also said it was the duty of Catholic educators to find those students who are struggling and help them.

“We help them to pause, to know their gifts and gain knowledge.”

Aymond talked about the many strengths of Catholic higher education, as well as discussing some of its weaknesses.

Aymond finished his speech by saying that higher Catholic education is one of the greatest gifts the Catholic Church gave to America.

Hannah Iannazzo can be reached at [email protected]

The Most Rev. Gregory Michael Aymond spoke to the Loyola community on the eve of Sept. 20, 2012, in Rousell Performance Hall, located on 2nd floor of Communications/Music Complex building. Aymond lectured on the goals of a Catholic higher level education and issues facing the Catholic education today. (SHAMARA KING/ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The Most Rev. Gregory Michael Aymond speaks along with a panel of Catholic high education leaders (SHAMARA KING/ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)