HEY, DJ, KEEP PLAYING THAT SONG

PHOTOS BY CHIKA JOHN/PHOTO EDITOR
Mass communication sophomore Eddie Schneider and international business sophomore Jen Weber, along with special guest and former student Jacobo Manopla, host their radio show, “The Opposite of Adults,” on Crescent City Radio on Sunday, Sept.11. The show runs from 10 p.m.-midnight. Funding for the radio is an annual issue, partly due to the high costs of the equipment used.

Mic, check. Speakers, check. Headphones, check. DJ, check check. It’s another day on the air with Crescent City Radio.

Some people in the Loyola community may be unaware that Loyola has its own radio station. Crescent City Radio started in 2006 after several failed attempts following the closure of Loyola’s first radio station, WLDC, in 1996.

“It was a long process,” said Jay Crutti, technology coordinator and the station’s faculty adviser.

After an attempt to create an Internet station went sour, the music industries department stepped in to lend a hand.

“The music industries program said they wanted to help out and take the initiative to fund it,” Crutti said. “They went about it the right way and went through the proper channels.”

At the same time the School of Mass Communication’s broadcasting program was removed by the university’s provost and president, the station was able to make its home in one of the vacant studios on the fourth floor of the Communications/ Music Complex.

Since then, Crescent City Radio has strived to build its momentum and awareness on campus.

“We go out of our way to make music our centerpiece,” Crutti said. “We encourage people to send their music…we set up a weekly table in the Danna Center and go to different areas on campus to increase our presence.”

Students and community members alike can submit their music to the station, perform live or pop in for an interview. The station is also no stranger to Hollywood.

Crescent City Radio has welcomed such celebrity guests such as Fonzworth Bentley, MURS, Playaz Circle, The Devil Wears Prada and Electrik Red. The station also premiered a movie called “Last Dayz,” documented the life of Lil’ Boosie, a rap artist.

“All CCR events are open to the public so we frequently have large crowds who appear to listen to and meet the celebrities when they come,” Crutti said.

The radio station is involved in many things. Besides giving students an outlet to promote their music or art, the station also allows students and faculty to host their own shows.

Lee Slan, religious studies senior, hosts his own show called “Keeping It Holy.”

“I choose to do my show because it is a dream come true,” Slan said. “Crescent City Radio gave me a chance to be heard worldwide. I just like working with my co-host, Alton Savage (music education sophomore), and having a good time in the Lord,” Slan said.

Slan said the show has given him a great foundation and a great start to his pursuit of a longtime career as a radio personality.

Kate Gremillion, mass communication senior, also has her own radio show with her co-host, mass communication senior Christoph Dornemann, called “In the Knowla.”

“I started on CCR on a different show with Christoph Dornemann a year and a half ago, and now we are changing it up a bit,” Gremillion said. “I think being part of CCR is a very exciting thing. The ability for students to be on the air and broadcast their opinions and views on what they like and dislike is an amazing sense of freedom and significance.”

Though the station is working on perfecting its programming, it still runs into some difficulties. Crutti cited revenue as a major problem.

There are many ways the station works to generate money besides looking toward the music industry program and SGA.

“Best revenue streams come from local bands,” Crutti said. “They perform live and we record them. We then sell the multitask recordings to the bands.”

This process profits both the bands being recorded and Crescent City Radio.

“A lot of bands are just starting out. This could be their first quality recording and handout,” Crutti said.

Crutti said money can put a strain on things, but this doesn’t lessen the spirit or goals of the station.

“We want to continue to be the best and give students a voice and to learn,” Crutti said. “We want to be an outlet for the university community as well.”

Crutti said that the station’s organizers plan to continue to increase their presence on campus by having the station manager speak to different classes about opportunities to get involved, and they will welcome collaborations with other departments and faculty.

Sable Lefrere can be reached at

[email protected]

(PHOTOS BY CHIKA JOHN/PHOTO EDITOR)