Open Mic Night showcases talent

Davis Walden

For just an hour in Satchmo’s Jazz Cafe, students were able to trade in their pens for microphones at the Residence Hall Association’s Open Mic Night.

Two singer-songwriters, religious studies freshman Cyprien Bullock and music therapy freshman Nikki Morgan, organized the Oct. 30 event in hopes to bring out the musical abilities and talent of Loyola students.

“Cyprien and Nikki did a fabulous job,” Claire McLaughlin, general studies freshman who performed at the open mic, said. “I think they fostered an environment that encouraged participation from artists and from people who came to watch. It was cool how easy it was to be receptive to other peoples’ talents.”

Bullock and Morgan went to the Residence Hall Association to help them fund and plan the event.

Over 20 artists participated in the event. Acts included a poem by Charity Mack, physics sophomore, and a cover of House of the Rising Sun performed by Hannah Pico, music industry studies freshman.

“It was pretty exciting. I was a little nervous,” McLaughlin said. “But it was awesome to be surrounded by so many people who love doing what I do.”

Kirkland Middleton, music industry studies freshman, said, “I thought it was a good representation of expression at Loyola. It covered a wide variety and was well organized. It was a medium for people to express themselves.”

Ronald Chavis, theatre sophomore said, “I’m honestly surprised that Loyola has not had more of those. I’m hoping they continue to have them.”

About the chance of upcoming open mic nights, Cyprien Bullock said, “It’s looking pretty good.”

“People actually expose themselves,” Middleton said. “Even though you haven’t met them, you see their faces.”