Loyola professor makes most of sabattical

Professor of religious studies Catherine Wessinger leads an informational session on a study abroad trip to India in Louise S. and J. Edgar Monroe Library in 2009. Wessinger is on sabbatical this semester to work on academic projects, including editing a religious scholarly journal and writing a new book.
FILE PHOTO/THE MAROON

Catherine Wessinger, the Rev. H. James Yamauchi, S.J. professor of the history of religions, is making the most of her yearlong sabbatical.

In addition to producing a new book and revising an old one, she is working on the next issue of “Nova Religio,” a quarterly journal focusing on new religious movements. She has served as a co-general editor of the publication since 2000.

“For me, personally, ‘Nova Religio’ is a continuation of my work as someone who’s interested in studying the religions of the world,” Wessinger said. “I think the study of all sorts of religions reveals the world to be an interesting place.”

Wessinger said that although she is not the founding editor, she initially conceived the idea for the journal. According to Wessinger, she solicited the idea to founding editor Philip Lucas, a colleague and professor of religious studies at Stetson University in Florida.

“Nova Religio” features articles by professionals in areas of history of religions, sociology, psychology and folklore. According to Wessinger, the study of new religions involves examination of religious expressions as human creativity, the study of the current globalization of religions and also the study of why some alternative religions become involved in violence.

“‘Nova Religio’ adds to the knowledge base about religions in general and the study of religion,” Wessinger said.

Wessinger said that in addition to receiving individual paper submissions and asking guest editors to solicit papers, she and her two co-editors look for articles to print by attending conferences.

“I go to sessions, and I listen to people present papers. And if somebody has a good paper, I’ll give them my card and encourage them to submit it to ‘Nova Religio,'” she said.

According to Wessinger, the three co-editors rotate the production of each issue. Her last produced issue was volume 15, number 2, published November 2011. Her next issue will be released August 2012, and will feature two articles and a short essay on art and new religious movements in the Black Atlantic. The issue will also feature a 2012 phenomenon update, a methodological essay and reviews.

Wessinger began her sabbatical in fall 2011. She said she spent the first half editing “A Journey to Waco: Autobiography of a Branch Davidian,” an autobiography of Clive Doyle, a Branch Davidian member.

Wessinger said she recorded 31 audiotapes of interviews with Doyle between 2004 and 2005, which were transcribed and which she and a colleague edited to produce the manuscript. Wessinger also added scholarly endnotes about all the events that involved the Branch Davidians.

During the second part of her sabbatical, Wessinger said she is revising and updating a book she previously published in 2000 called “How the Millennium Comes Violently: From Jonestown to Heavens Gate.” Wessinger said she plans on adding a chapter about Falun Gong. The title of the second edition will be “How the Millennium Comes Violently: From Jonestown to Falun Gong.”

Wessinger said she has received a contract with New York University Press to edit a series of short textbooks on women and religions. She also received a Marquette Fellowship from Loyola to spend the summer writing the introductory volume to that series, which will be about theory of women and religion

Scott O’Brien can be reached at [email protected]