Retreat encourages seniors to reflect

Seniors will take a day-trip to the wilderness to reminisce on their experiences at Loyola and to reflect on their spiritual journeys.

This May’s graduating class will venture to Tickfaw State Park, located in Springfield, La., on April 12. The retreat is coordinated and led by Assistant Director of University Ministry Laura Alexander and Mission and Ministry Resident Chaplin Joseph Albin.

Albin described the trip as a “senior sleepover.”

“You can get together with the people you spent the last four years with and reminisce,” Albin said.

The retreat is open to all seniors, but Albin said the majority of attendees have been involved in University Ministry activities before.

“This retreat begins to facilitate that process of looking back in gratitude, and offers an opportunity for seniors to look ahead and think about how they can continue to live thoughtful, reflective lives in future communities,” Alexander said.

Anywhere from 10-to-20 people usually attend the annual retreat. However, Albin and Alexander said this year may promise an increase in attendance considering the higher number of students involved in ministry from this class.

“Most of our other retreats introduce new ideas and content while this retreat is an examination of what the students already know,” Albin said.

Spanish senior J.A. Cunningham said he is excited to be able to participate in this retreat before he graduates.

“I’ve been involved in Mission and Ministry since the very beginning,” Cunningham said. “I appreciate that experience and I am really looking forward to having this two day retreat to connect with my community one last time.”

According to Albin, the focus of the retreat is reflection and projection. Students will discuss where they see themselves after their lives at Loyola.

“Seniors involved in Mission and Ministry are looking forward to the retreat. Joe Albin and I have some reflection and prayer experiences planned, and Fr. Gregg Grovenburg will celebrate Mass with us on Saturday afternoon,” Alexander said. “It’s a fun retreat to work on because the seniors really make the experience their own.”

Cunningham believes the retreat is important because it lets the seniors spend time to rekindle their community spirit.

“Senior retreat is especially important because it gives you an opportunity to re-immerse yourself and to reinforce that this community has been there for you for the past four years, they will be there with you as you finish your college career and then even as you continue on to your adult life,” Cunningham said.

University Mission and Ministry hopes to facilitate the transition students will make from Loyola and encourage ways to keep faith in their ongoing lives with this retreat.

“Gratitude is one of the key principles of Ignatian spirituality, and can be so helpful especially at this point in a senior’s life,” Alexander said.

Jessica DeBold can be reached at [email protected]