Intramural volleyball season is coming soon to the Rec Plex

Loyola volleyball practice
    Loyola Maroon
    Loyola volleyball practice

With the start of fall comes the start of Loyola’s intramural volleyball season. Students and teams have completed the registration process, which ended on Wednesday, Oct. 13, and are anxious for the upcoming season.

“I didn’t get to play last sea- son because I wanted to get acclimated to college life, but this year I am looking forward to competing in the intramural volleyball league here at Loyola,” said Alex Failla, finance sophomore.

Loyola offers students a chance to compete in a men’s, women’s, or co-rec division. Besides the gender difference, the only difference between the divisions occurs in the co-rec division. “In co-rec you must al- ways have a minimum of three females on the court at any given time, and there is one important rule difference: if there is more than one hit on a side, a female player must contact the ball before it goes over the net,” said Zach Bracey, assistant director of Wellness.

Bracey called a captain’s meeting Wednesday, Oct. 13. Bracey explained that the captain’s meeting was necessary to discuss a brief overview of the rules, and to decide what nights and times the games will be con- ducted.

The intramural volleyball league offers all Loyola students a chance to compete athletically in a relatively easy sport to play that does not require the participant to purchase any equipment. “What I love about the sport of volleyball is how easy it is to play, yet it never gets old,” Failla said.

For the past two seasons, Motion to Spike, a team that competes in Loyola’s co-rec division, went to the Louisiana Collegiate Recreational and Intramural Sports Association state tournament.

A team of law school students, Motion to Spike is a very competitive team led by Evan Bergeron. “They are a very competitive team and make it a point to practice throughout the year, even with their busy schedules,” Bracey said.

The    intramural    volleyball season will begin on Mon- day, Oct. 25. Matches will be played on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. with each match lasting 45 minutes.

Students interested in intramural volleyball or any intramural sport should contact Zach Bracey at [email protected] or visit imleagues.com.

Richard Dempsey can be reached at [email protected]