Loyola students flock to service learning opportunities

At SERVE
    At “SERVE

Future leaders, mentors and self-less students attended Loyola’s Volunteer Fair on  Jan. 21, looking to reach out to their community and New Orleans. 

The fair, called SERVE, was full of eager students, and red and white display tables of different organizations from around the New Orleans area.Many of these organizations — groups like A’s and Aces, Boys Hope Girls Hope, and El Yo Yo Bilingual HeadStart  — allow students to mentor kids in the New Orleans area.  

Others like Dragon’s Café and the New Orleans  Women’s Shelter, serve New Orleans’ homeless population. Students have plenty options to choose from as they browsed tables in the St. Charles Room, collected pamphlets, and ate international food.  

Many students  signed up with mentoring organizations.  

“I am here because I want to help kids,” says  Andrew De La Pena, theatre senior.   

Other students attended to fulfill their requirements in Loyola’s service-learning program; Students must volunteer for a non-profit organization as a class requirement. 

“I am here for my Intensive Conversation course.  I have to use my Spanish speaking skills in an everyday conversation.  Not to mention, I really enjoy helping the children,” said Brittani McClain, psychology pre-med junior.   

Other students and native New Orleanians said that the service learning would fulfill their longing to help out.  

“Well, it is required for my class to do a few hours of community service, but I had a yearning to give back to my hometown,” said Alex Roper, environmental studies freshman.  

According to Kelly Brotzman, service learning director, the fair hadn’t happened at Loyola since 2005.  Brotzman also said that simple discussion about the issues that affect New Orleans is not enough.  

“You can talk about the issues all day long, but unless you have direct experience and practical involvement, your understanding is limited,” she said.       

Erica Colbenson can be reached at [email protected].