Revamped London summer program offers students more

Updated format includes new trips, location, courses
    Loyola Study Abroad students take photos around the Tower Bridge in London on July 6, 2005.
    Steve Kashishian

For the past 18 years, the London summer study abroad program remained untouched. This summer that will change.

The program has been redesigned and has a new director, David Myers, professor of mass communication. Myers took over the program after William Hammel, professor of mass communication, left Loyola because of faculty cuts implemented in the wake of the “Pathways” program.

When Hammel departed, so did the London program that had been used for many years. The new program will follow a similar format but will be improved, Myers said. It will still be five weeks long, running from July 1 to Aug. 3 and have a number of several similar activities.

“I feel like I’ve upgraded it a bit … I tried to design a program my daughters would want to go on,” Myers said about the new program.

Classes will be held on the University of London campus, close to the student union. A number of benefits will come from the location change, Myers said. Students will have the opportunity to join the student union and have access to its facilities, including a pool and computer labs.

The student apartments are located in the Kensington area of West London and are within walking distance of Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens and world-famous British museums.

The courses offered will also differ from previous years. Before, the program offered two history courses. These have been replaced with two social science common curriculum electives, Media Play and Understanding Media. Mass Communication Theory and Research, a required course, and American and British Women Journalists, a mass communication elective, will round out the course selection.

Sherry Alexander, associate professor of mass communication, will teach two courses this summer and take over as director of the program next summer. This is part of a new plan to rotate faculty involvement with the summer program. A new professor will rotate in to teach when she becomes director, Alexander said.

Alexander said she has adjusted her courses for the London program, taking a broader and more international approach to media and women’s issues. American Women Journalists was updated to allow for study of British women journalists as well. “I’m pretty excited about that (course). I will try to get British women to come in and speak to the class,” Alexander said.

Her other course, Understanding Media, will emphasize the globalization of media. “Your education isn’t complete if you just think the U.S. is the media capital of the world. You can’t separate on nation and state lines anymore. You need a broader outlook,” Alexander said.

With only two hours of class a day and the four required field trips, students will have the opportunity to explore and enjoy London. Alexander said that students will be able to enjoy the pubs, music scene and night life of London.

London’s music scene is similar to that of New Orleans, according to Alexander. “London is really a fun place … It’s like pre-Katrina New Orleans, with dozens and dozens of clubs with music.”

Another new feature of the program will be four field trips to areas outside of London. The trips will take place on Fridays and will include Oxford, Stonehenge and Bath, Windsor Castle and Stratford-upon-Avon.

Tentative plans have been made for evening events, including trips to plays. The cost of the tickets has been included in the cost of the trip.

Guided tours of London museums and attractions along with a tour of the BBC with admission to radio and television show tapings are other new features of the program.

The cost of the program increased from $4,100 last year to $4,400 this year. The cost includes housing in student apartments, airfare and six hours of Loyola credit. Wireless Internet access, use of University of London-based classrooms with wireless Internet access, health insurance and a London Transport travel pass good for the duration of the program are also covered by the cost.

There are still spots available, according to Myers. “I don’t have as many students enrolled at this point. I would like to know why it’s down. It is probably lower enrollment overall,” Myers said. The cut off for enrollment is 30 students.

Myers hoped the enrollment will increase because of the redesigned program. “I’m looking forward to it. It will be fun and educational. I think it’s a good program, and that people will enroll,” Myers said.

The program is open to all majors. Alexander said the variety of classes offered would be beneficial for women’s studies minors, mass communication and English literature majors along with anyone needing common curriculum electives.

The deadline for enrollment in the program is April 1. For more information on the program, visit the program’s Web site, http://www.loyno.edu/london, or e-mail Myers at [email protected].

Tara Templeton can be reached at [email protected].