SGA to change club sports funding

The Loyola Student Government Association is in the process of changing the way they fund club sports.

Over the past two years, the SGA would set aside $7,000 per semester for the Athletics and Wellness Department, which oversees club sports, according to SGA Director of Finance Brian Gibbons.

“This money would then be allocated accordingly based on what each club was asking for. There was no set amount that each club received,” said Zachary Bracey, assistant director of intramurals, club sports and summer camps.

The allocated money has been crucial to Loyola club sports, which include the sports officials’ club, men’s rugby, sailing, cheerleading, dance and golf. It provides each team with the equipment and other necessities crucial to success.

When Bracey took over club sports two years ago, there was a different method of funding by the SGA. After the past two years of allocating $7,000 per semester to the Athletics and Wellness Department, the SGA has decided to return to the old method of funding, which was present before Bracey took over club sports.

Club sports will now follow and be held to the same standards as other campus organizations. “Rather than be about eight organizations applying for about $7,000 per semester, club sports are now among about 45 other organizations applying for about $85,000 per semester,” Gibbons said.

“There are some differences with club sports, but we felt the method of funding should be the same across the board. They will still report to the Athletics & Wellness department, and will have separate requirements that must be met outside of the allocations process,” Bracey said.

This semester has been somewhat of a trial run in regards to the SGA’s method of funding club sports. “This semester, we expect to find the kinks and problems and then improve the allocation process accordingly for next semester. It is important to make the allocation process as efficient and equitable as possible for everyone involved, and now that includes club sports,” Gibbons said.

Bracey believes that this shift back to the old method of funding will have little impact on club sports into the future other than the “allocations will now come directly from the SGA again.”

Richard Dempsey can be reached at [email protected]