News rocks campus

ABOVE
    ABOVE

Shock and disbelief spread across Loyola’s campus this week as word spread of a scandal that took the Rev. Bernard Knoth, S.J., university president, from the New Orleans community that he had served for eight years.

The Jesuit community and University Ministry reacted quickly and held a prayer service Wednesday night meant to help heal students, faculty and staff members who are still reeling from the alleged scandal.

“We’ve all suffered a wound,” the Rev. Si Hendry, S.J., director of the Loyola’s Jesuit Center said. “It felt like somebody dropped a bowling ball in my stomach.”

Psychology senior Kayla Whitehead said that the allegations were surprising. She said that Knoth, who had always been very polite to her, never seemed as if he could be involved in such a scandal.

Robert Reed, the director of the department of Residential Life, said that some students on his staff were having a difficult time dealing with Knoth’s resignation.

“I think the students who are very close to Father Knoth are having all kinds of emotions,” Reed said. “Obviously, shock is one emotion. Disappointment is another. Some were wondering if it is true.”

Music therapy junior Samantha Montgomery said that because Knoth was a university figurehead, she felt confused by the allegations and betrayed that Knoth may have acted inappropriately.

The Rev. Eddie Gros, S.J., said that priests like Knoth are sometimes put on a pedestal.

“We are your priests, but we are broken people,” Gros said. “We make mistakes.”

Knoth has denied the allegations but was unavailable for further comment, as he left town after handing over his resignation papers Tuesday morning, officials said.

Dan Sumner, a 1986 graduate of Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School in Indianapolis, Ind. and former Loyola staff member, called The Maroon to comment just a day after the news broke. Sumner said that although Knoth could be tough, he was well-liked among his students in Indianapolis.

“He was loved,” Sumner said. “There was always thunderous applause when he approached the mike. He got stuff done.”

Despite the accusation, some Loyola students agreed that Knoth did a lot to help Loyola.

Communications senior David Dauterive said that Knoth’s plans for the school were extremely valuable and that they should not be set aside now that he has resigned. Accounting senior Will Macaluso was saddened to see Knoth resign.

“It’s a shame,” Macaluso said. “He was a great leader and did good things for the school. He will be missed.”

Vocal Performance sophomore Cleona Torres said that, while Knoth’s resignation was untimely, she was not surprised that he had left. Although the allegations came as a shock, Torres said that she was not sure how much longer Knoth would be at Loyola.

“There was always this background buzz on campus that Father Knoth was not necessarily well-liked by a lot of people,” she said. “I’m sorry to see him leave in this way, but I’m not surprised to see him go.”

Music performance junior Sara Kelly, said that the situation made her uneasy.

“You think about these things happening at other schools,” she said. “There’s not much drama here. Loyola has always felt safe to me.”

Loyola alumnus Joe Danborn A’99 arrived at the university around the same time that Knoth did. Danborn, who now writes for the Mobile Register, said that even though he graduated he still can appreciate the effects that Knoth’s resignation will have.

“There will be talk about Father Knoth’s legacy at Loyola, and a lot of it won’t be kind,” Danborn said. “But there’s no question the school is stronger than it was when he arrived. The fact that Father Knoth helped lead these improvements while never forgetting a student’s face underscores what a loss this is for Loyola.”

Jenny Edwards, an English senior, said that she wasn’t sure what the university was going to do. She said that the situation also scared her because she is in her last semesters at Loyola.

“I don’t want the school to change now,” she said. “Security is important. If Loyola looks bad because of this, it affects us all.”

But some students are suspicious of the allegations. Psychology and Catholic studies junior Jenica Tramontana said that many times people are too quick to judge in these situations.

“It is important for the students to know the truth, no matter what it is,” she said. “People do jump to conclusions. He could be innocent.”

An important thing to remember is that the people in the community are there for each other, Reed said.

“I think that what we have to do as a community is pull together,” Reed said. “We are a very special community and a very strong community.”

At Wednesday night’s prayer service, Gros attributed that community to Knoth’s work and dedication to Loyola.

“Community is a gift Father Bernie helped develop so well,” Gros said.

Hendry said that students can look to the future for hope.

“How we deal with this determines the future of Loyola,” he said.

Capt. Roger Pinac of University Police guards the door to the Office of the President.

University police keep students in the hallway outside a press conference in Marquette Hall Tuesday afternoon. (Gillian Dicker)