Monroe Library makes video training system available for use on campus

Available through the Monroe Library for the first time this semester is Lynda, a video training system meant to familiarize users with a breadth of assorted technology-related programs through concise and readily accessible tutorials. 

In addition to the software tutorials for which the system is acclaimed by the Daily Pennsylvanian and the Wall Street Journal, Lynda also offers training in other areas such as business skills and time management fundamentals.

Videos are kept up-to-date and are taught by effective, passionate educators, who are also respected authorities in software, creative and business fields, according to the Lynda website.

The program claims to rival conventional online tutorials, such as YouTube videos, by offering high-quality clips focusing on specific and relevant themes, Brian Sullivan, research and instructional technologies librarian at the Monroe Library, said.

“Sometimes it is hard when you use free services to get what you need out of them,” Sullivan said.”Rather than trying to sit down and work through a 40-minute video, Lynda allows users to learn through 10-minute videos that build over time.” 

Sullivan said he believes that the program is beneficial to students in particular in that it will allow for greater access to a basic understanding of various topics, so that class time can be allotted toward application of concepts rather than introduction to them.

“We’ve wanted to get this for years, but costs can be prohibitive,” Sullivan said.

“Funds for the subscription have been provided by Mr. John Snyder of the Music Industry Studies program,” Jim Hobbs, the university’s online services coordinator, said.

The university is currently subscribed to Lynda kiosk, a version of the program that connects one computer in a lab or library to the database.

Loyola’s computer that has access to Lynda is located in the media services area of the Monroe Library.

“This one-computer arrangement is the best we can do at this time, given the current financial situation at the university,” Hobbs said.

Sullivan said he remains optimistic that the more people use Lynda, the more justification the university will have to expand the program in the years to come.

Lauren Stroh can be contacted at [email protected]