‘Pack plans to build on winning year

2003 team hopes that experience and aggressive play will lead to success
    Head coach Emmy Therrell gives instructions to several players at a recent practice in the RecPlex.  The team opens the 2003 season with two games in Memphis, Tenn. over the weekend.
    Head coach Emmy Therrell gives instructions to several players at a recent practice in the RecPlex. The team opens the 2003 season with two games in Memphis, Tenn. over the weekend.

The Loyola soccer team feels confident that it can do what no Wolfpack team in history has done: have consecutive winning seasons.

Last year, the team finished 8-7-1, including a three match winning streak at the end of the season. In one of those matches, the ‘Pack defeated nationally-ranked William Carey, a team Loyola had never beaten before, 2-1.

“Last year’s winning record give us the drive to make that two winning records in a row,” head coach Emmy Therrell said. “We know we can do it. That is our goal. I think we got a real boost in the game against William Carey, because the talent level of the other team was strong and we overcame the odds.

“We come back this year with a tight knit upper class group committed to each other and the team. That is a strength to take into the season.”

Another strength the team feels it has is an aggressive style of play.

“We have some aggressive players that like to slide tackle,” said communications junior and co-captain Gigi Alford.

“As a team, we have a great attitude,” Clare Springer, biology sophomore and co-captain, added. “We have no give up. We are a bunch of fighters. I was even slide-tackled by a freshmen during warm-ups in the first practice.”

That freshman was criminal justice major Amy Budahn.

Therrell believes that Budahn and several other freshmen will play a key role in Loyola’s success this season.

“Amy will be a ball-winner,” she said. “She is a physical presence on the field. She has a soft, accurate touch and good vision.”

Therrell said that biology freshmen Lindsay Diak will be a goal-scorer for the team because she likes to go at defenders.

“I want to bring some attitude,” Budahn said. “I just want to play hard. I am going to play as aggressive as I can.”

The ‘Pack begins its season this weekend in Memphis. Loyola plays Millsaps tomorrow and Rhodes on Sunday.

“We have our full team available even though we have some minor injuries,” Therrell said. “I’m anticipating that in the first game against Millsaps we will be able to show what we have. From two scrimmages that we’ve had, I feel that I already have a good feel for the players and where I want them to play.”

Adding to the team’s depth, Christine Hoist has returned to the team after sitting out during her first year of law school.

She completed a double major in three years and then went to law school. She is now in her second year of law school and her final year of eligibility.

“I played in a summer league to get back in shape,” Hoist said. “I have leadership and can build on my past experience with the team. As a defender, I want to make sure that we keep it together on defense and stay organized.”

“Christine is very dedicated to doing everything to the best of her ability,” Therrell said. “From being on time to the first one to put on her cleats, she plays very tough on defense. She got the nickname of ‘The Beast’ because she never gave up on the defensive line.”

Note: Coach Therrell will hold a tryout for the team Tues. and Wed. She needs one goalie and one field player. Those interested are encouraged to come both days. Therrell can be reached in her office at 864-7398.