Print Services relocates

Print Services is going to have a new home now that it has been dislocated by the latest Monroe Hall renovations.

Bret Jacobs, vice provost for information technology and chief information officer, said Print Services was not given space in the final design of the renovated Monroe Hall and will be moved to the Danna Center basement.

“We were not able to provide space for them in the final design of Monroe Hall as priority was given to academic departments,” Jacobs said.

Randy Laumann, who recently resigned as manager of Print Services, said at University Senate meetings that new location was problematic in terms of space, location, compromised security and moisture.

Glenn Hymel, professor of psychology, spoke to the issue at the December and January Senate meetings. He sided with Laumann’s argument against the Danna Center basement being an efficient location.

“One of the most compelling parts of his argument was that 89.5 percent of the clientele that he serves was in the front of the campus,” Hymel said.

Hymel said that the administration took the position that the Danna Center would be ideal for housing Print Services, because it is a central location.

Jacobs said that the Danna Center basement provided the “largest centrally located and contiguous area on campus that could be reasonably renovated.”

Hymel’s rebuttal was that geographically the Danna Center is a central location on campus, but not functional for Print Services since the majority of the clientele served is between Miller Hall and St. Charles Avenue.

“It was just nonsensical that part of the argument for the Danna Center was it would be centrally located,” Hymel said.

Troy Butler, a Xerox employee, will be working for Print Services until they find someone to replace Randy Laumann, and Butler said he is concerned about increased student requests.

“We will probably get more business from students,” Butler said.

High moisture levels in the Danna Center may affect paper and printer performance. Jacqueline Joseph, political science senior and chairwoman for Loyola University Community Action Program, works in an office located in the Danna Center basement.

Joseph thinks that there are a lot of issues with moisture in the Danna Center basement.

“Molding is an issue, we have leaky pipes, and when it rains the carpet gets wet. Any large equipment being relocated down here would be a terrible idea,” she said.

Even though University Senate unanimously decided that they support the search for adequate space, some faculty members said they did not think the administration listened to their concerns.

“It sounded like the administration had been totally closed to the whole thing from the beginning. The faculty was not heard,” Elizabeth Beard, professor of biology, said.

Glynn Hymel said it seems the decision was already made, leaving no option but to accept.

“The move is taking place a heck of a lot sooner than what we were told point blank at the senate meeting. It’s a giant step in the wrong direction,” Hymel said.

Ashley Frugé may be reached at [email protected]