Loyola student running for City Council

Second-year law student wants united levee board for Uptown district
    Sonia Gupta, a second-year student at the School of Law, plans to challenge seven others for the District A City Council seat.

Sonia Gupta, a second-year student in the School of Law, will be campaigning against seven others for one seat on the New Orleans City Council this April. The District A seat encompasses the Uptown Riverbend area, including Loyola and Tulane universities, and extends all the way to the Lakefront.

Gupta, 25, said that her decision to campaign was solidified in part by the misdirection of the current New Orleans City Council, who she said have plagued the city for far too long.

“Their lack of communication and overwhelming sense of nepotism is creating a stagnate city,” Gupta said.

“Now we have a chance to try something new,” she added. “We can make New Orleans into this amazing place and finally set a higher standard.”

Gupta’s primary concern is the condition of the New Orleans levees. Despite the complaints of current officials, Gupta feels that a united levee board is the first step to ensuring protection for New Orleans and its surrounding communities.

“This isn’t just a local issue – it’s regional. Time is quintessential here,” she said.

Gupta also feels that there should be a stronger focus on bringing people back into the city. She was outraged by the comments made by Oliver Thomas, city council man at-large. Thomas said the poor in New Orleans were too “pampered” and that we should only bring back those who are “hard workers,” not “soap opera watchers.”

Gupta thinks that everyone, rich and poor, should be welcomed back to the city.

“The diversity is what makes this city so great,” she said.

Gupta believes the city in its current state offers great economic potential to many of those who may not have had it before.

If elected, Gupta also hopes to tackle the New Orleans educational system.

“The school board is a joke,” Gupta said. “It’s notorious for being flawed and corrupt. I find it atrocious that people are even thinking of reestablishing the old school board.”

She said that charter schools may be a good option for the city to consider.

“We need more community-based learning. We need to bring quality education to people from all walks of life,” she said.

Gupta believes that this election season may be the most important one in New Orleans history. The officials that will be voted into office now will shape this city.

“It could be something great – or it could be a huge disaster,” she said.

She encourages everyone to get out and vote, especially students.

“The decisions that will be made in the next year will affect everyone. So go out and vote. Be informed. Help build your city the way you want it to be,” Gupta said.

Jared Bailey can be reached at [email protected].