History in the making

Sophomore outfielder Bobby Alvarez connects on a pitch last weekend at Segnette Field. Loyola, simmering off a six-game win streak, scored 65 runs as they swept Tougaloo. Loyola tops the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics in runs scored per game and RBIs.
    Steve Kashishian

Loyola’s baseball team defeated Tougaloo by a combined 65 runs during a three-game sweep last weekend, improving its record to 6-1 while extending its win streak to six games.

The Wolfpack started off the first game of the doubleheader in dominating fashion, scoring 16 runs in the first inning of a 25-0 victory.

“It definitely lifted us as a team for the rest of the day,” business management junior Brian Mason said. Mason went 3-for-3 with two RBIs and two runs scored in the opening game.

Mathematics senior Bryan McCaulley (2-0) was credited with the win in his first start of the season. Communications junior James Blakeman, mathematics freshman Andrew Laiche and communications senior Brian Sullivan combined for four scoreless innings of relief. The pitching staff held Tougaloo to two hits.

Brad Elmore (0-1) was the losing pitcher for the Bulldogs.

Riding high on the result of the last game, Loyola put together two back-to-back 10-run innings in a 31-1 victory. Up 8-0 in the third inning, the ‘Pack’s offense exploded, scoring 10 runs to solidify an already large lead. They followed it up with an equally impressive 13-run fourth inning.

Biology freshman Chucky Benach (2-0) earned the victory in the first complete game of his career. He struck out eight while not giving up an earned run. Steven Douglas took the loss for the Bulldogs.

“We were confident that we were going to win,” Mason said. “We knew what we had to do in order to get the job done.”

Loyola wrapped up the series the following day with a 12-2 victory. General studies freshman Stephen Ratasky (1-0) landed the win after starting the game. Ratasky gave up one run on two hits in his one inning of work. Communications junior Hilton Pittman, general studies freshman Miles Colley, history freshman Thomas Gibbs and general studies sophomore Paul Neill shut Tougaloo out.

The ‘Pack’s offense has been a key part of the team’s success. Through seven games, the offense has led NAIA Region XIII in hitting with a .388 batting average, nearly 100 points higher than last year’s .299. Loyola is currently top five in slugging percentage (.552), runs per game (13.57) and home runs (7).

The offense isn’t the only aspect to improve from last year. The team’s ERA has dropped a full point from 5.88 to 4.88. Part of this is due to the increased confidence the team has gained.

“The pitchers appreciate the hitters and have confidence in our abilities to get runs across the plate,” Mason said. “Good pitching gives hitters the opportunity to win games.”

Chad Bower can be reached at [email protected].