I don’t care too much for money, money can’t buy me

Yeah, but you can make it easier on your wallet. Here are some suggestions…
    Maple Steet offers many inexpensive places to dine. Babylon Cafe serves great middle-eastern cuisine. Figaro’s is just down the street and offers good Italian food at reasonable prices, as well as a nice atmosphere.
    Crystal Schouest

Candy hearts. Red roses. Wine glasses. White tablecloths.

No money.

According to a Hallmark card, Valentine’s Day is “a day to give thanks for your loved ones and recognize how special they really are.”

However, as this recognition often involves expensive dates and copious amounts of gifts, the holiday is a broke college student’s nightmare.

But, having a cheap Valentine’s Day date does not have to mean taking a spin through your local McDonald’s take-out window.

Nor does it require sitting through boring Friday night television programing.

In New Orleans, there are several great, inexpensive places to go.

Many restaurants and activities are close by, and they won’t pinch the average college student’s pocket.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Good Eats

* Mystic Pizzeria and Cafe, 3244 Magazine St.

Mystic cafe’s menu consists of a variety of sandwiches, pastas, salads, and pizzas.

There’s something for everyone, even the burger and fries person, and most choices are between $6 and $10.

Grab a table outside and experience the unique atmosphere of Magazine Street.

* Babylon Cafe, 7724 Maple St.

This restaurant offers a variety of middle-eastern sandwiches, dips and and entrees.

The food is delicious, and most menu items cost less than $6.

New Orleans has many middle-eastern restaurants and this one ranks near the top for price and proximity.

* Figaro’s, 7900 Maple St.

A combination of Christmas lights and patio seating gives this Italian restaurant a romantic feeling.

The pasta and pizzas are made according to classic Italian recipes, and the low prices won’t break your budget.

On a mild night, this is the perfect place to dine.

Nice Treats

* The Pyrtania Theatre, 5339 Pyrtania St.

This one-screen theater is a good pick for a movie date.
    It’s a smaller theater with a dated interior, but at $5.50 a ticket, it’s cheaper than the massive but average Palace Theatre.
    It’s also a short distance away from campus, which means no long drive or high-priced parking.
    Now playing: The Oscar-nominated musical, “Chicago.”

* Rock ‘N’ Bowl, 4133 S. Carrolton

Although bowling is not for everyone, Rock ‘N’ Bowl offers a wide range of entertainment.
    Besides the usual game, the bowling alley also offers live bands, a bar and a dance floor.
    Swing dance lessons are also offered on some occasions.
    While the cover differs from night to night due to the bands, the price usually remains under $10.

* The Riverfront

With all the great places to eat and flashy bars New Orleans has to offer, it would be a mistake to forget the city’s natural beauty and charm.
    There are countless spots along the Mississippi River, from the ‘Fly to the Riverwalk, that are great for picnics or a nighttime stroll.
    And best of all, this one is absolutely free of charge.

Mystic Cafe is a popular eatery among college students. The menu items are varied, but most reamin under $10. Mystic is tucked between many other restaurants and bars along Magazine Street. (Crystal Schouest)

Mid-City Rock ‘N’ Bowl is practically a New Orleans landmark. Around since 1941, it is much more than a bowling alley. Bowlers can often be caught cutting loose on the dance floor between rounds. (Crystal Schouest)