SGA focuses on communication

Loyola Student Government Association is gearing up for the new school year by focusing more on visibility and transparency to the student body, according to SGA executive staff.

Blake Corley, executive vice president of the organization and international business junior, said that he wants to be accessible to students.

“I want to be someone students know that they can call on and be there. Knowing any concerns, questions or comments or any ideas that people have, they can message me on Facebook, call me on my cellphone,” Corley said.

Jasmine Barnes, student government president and mass communication senior, said that communication is key to a successful year.

“We’re really working on that communication aspect to really let students know what SGA is doing, because these are your elected officials and Senate,” Barnes said. Barnes said she wants students’ voices to be heard.

According to Ron Palmer, vice president of communication for the organization, student government is planning to hold town hall meetings and press conferences after the organizations’ senate meetings.

These meetings would give students the opportunity to speak to elected SGA officials, as well as to keep students informed on what the organization is doing throughout the year, Palmer said.

“It’s really just to bridge that gap between the student body, SGA and administration. It’s opening the lines of communication and really putting the students’ voice out there in the forefront,” Barnes said.

Barnes is positive about this school year in spite of budget concerns. She said she believes students will not feel the impact.

“Students will still have quality programs, traditions and access to services despite budget shortfalls. The amount in allocations will still be high enough to support student organizations,” Barnes said.

Constituent concerns remain important to the organziation, Corley said.

“Everyone should be so engaged in their educational process and their student life because we pay to go here, this is our experience,” Barnes said.

Alicia Serrano can be reached at [email protected]