Girl Talk, bands take Loup Garou stage

Garou reached new heights this year when they managed to recruit famed DJ Girl Talk.

Loyola has booked Pittsburg native Gregg Gillis, better known as the DJ of Girl Talk, for the spring Loup Garou concert at Tipitina’s April 21. Gillis has gained national attention for his role at the forefront of copyright and licensing issues. He is in a unique position as his music is made up entirely of samples from other artists’ songs.

In addition to Girl Talk, the show will feature Shreveport natives and indie-popsters The Peekers and New Orleans party rockers Big Rock Candy Mountain. The event will be hosted by Loyola music industry sophomore Gerald Gillum, better known as G-Eazy.

Student Government Association president Cade Cypriano, political science senior, attributed the
    planning of the concert to the student government as a whole, with many of the members weighing in on potential options.

“Each SGA administration creates an internal ad hoc committee…charged with the responsibility of seeking out talent for the event,” said Cypriano.

“We use a combination of student fees, association fundraising and off-campus ticket sales to finance the event…but a net profit margin is not the object hosting the concert,” he said.

SGA settled on Girl Talk after seeing that he was rated as one of the top collegiate performances in Campus Activities and Programming magazine. “It was the consensus of the planning committee that Girl Talk and the featured artists…presented the best mix of national and local talent at the highest value for the students,” Cypriano said.

However straightforward this may seem, colleges take a unique approach to booking artists. Loyola alumnus and local concert promoter Brad Lawson weighed in on some of the differences.
    “Generally a promoter is going to pay a guarantee in addition to a percentage of ticket sales after his expenses are recouped,” he said.

Tickets are free for Loyola seniors and $5 for all other students. Students can ride SGA sponsored buses to the venue, and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Dan Helfers can be reached at [email protected].