Turning over a new leaf

Maple Street loses old favorites, but gains new additions

It has existed for more than 200 years, and it seems that Loyola University students have patronized Maple Street and the shops, services, restaurants and bars adorning it for that long.

While it is generally agreed that receiving an education is the most important aspect of college, Maple Street establishments such as TJ Quills, Bruno’s, and Uptown Cajun ranked as equally important to past and present students.

“I used to go to Quills all the time when I went to college Uptown,” said Jolie Everheardt, a St. Bernard Parish elementary school teacher.

In recent months, the Maple Street that Everheardt and others have come to cherish has rapidly changed. On Sept. 5, Uptown Cajun, a popular restaurant and bar known to Loyola students for its complementary Lenten seafood and Thursday night 40-ounce malt liquor specials, closed.

“Honestly, I kinda laughed when Uptown closed,” said Brittany Horner, English writing sophomore and former Uptown Cajun employee. “When I started working there my aunt told me that the location (7708 Maple St.) was cursed. Every year a new business opened in that building and failed.”

Although she quit months before the closing, Horner attributes the bar’s failure to poor management. “While yes, I may be slightly spiteful in saying this, Uptown had issues with paying their employees. Both my friend and then boyfriend never received several checks for hours that they put in.”

While Horner credits Uptown Cajun’s inexperienced management for its failure, other longer-established businesses like T.J. Quills have also closed this winter.

For years, undergraduates had enjoyed spending nights at the popular cramped bar at 7600 Maple St., known for its leniency in serving alcohol to drinkers under 21. Open late into the night and often teeming with students, T.J. Quills earned good profits.

“Quills was the first bar I ever went to,” said Colin Gregory, history junior and member of the BEGGARS fraternity. “I loved that bar. I always went to that bar. Any night of the week you could find someone you knew and have a great time. It’s a damn travesty that it closed.”

While T.J. Quills owner Doug Hubscher cited an increased lease and high utility bills as the reasons behind Gregory’s “travesty,” other merchants believe there are other reasons for the closing.

The bar was often raided and given citations by the Alcoholic Beverage Board for violating state law and serving to minors.

They said it was because of higher rent, but Maple Area Residents Inc. and individual residents had a problem with the crowd that serving to minors attracted,” said Andrew Do, manager of the newly established YouGurt at 7638 Maple St.

According to its Web site, MARI “represents the concerns of residents, particularly homeowners” in the neighborhoods adjacent to Maple Street. “MARI acts when events have disrupted this delicate balance (of residents, students, churches, schools and businesses) and threatened our quality of life.”

Not all bars on Maple Street are suffering. Vera Cruz and Bruno’s are open and intend to remain so. However, Bruno’s has moved across the street from its former location to 7538 Maple St.

According to the bar’s owner, David Melius, the change was inspired solely because of an increase in rent when the lease expired. Accordingly, the owners made plans before Katrina to purchase a new building across the corner, renovate it and reopen the bar.

While both “Old Bruno’s” and “New Bruno’s” are currently operating, Old Bruno’s is set to close in April.

“I still intend to go to Old Bruno’s until it closes,” Gregory says. “While I like the new bar, there’s something to say about establishment. It’s like the end of an era on Maple.”

In addition to bars, other businesses are also closing with new ones assuming their leases. Cherryontop and YouGurt both opened in mid-2007.

YouGurt, which operates in the former Jay’s Bubbletea Café building, is attempting to cater to students in several ways.

“A lot of college students are interested in yogurt, but we want to offer more,” said Do. “Bubbletea only sold one product and they couldn’t meet rent.” In addition to offering yogurt, YouGurt also serves bubble tea, sandwiches, salads and wraps.

“Our clientele is 60-70 percent students and naturally I’m nervous about the summer,” Do said. “I wouldn’t say that Maple Street is the best place to open a new business. The demographics of this city are changing. New people don’t know about Maple Street.”

It’s not only business owners who are concerned about the future of Maple Street.

“I think the situation on Maple Street is a microcosm of the negative changes occurring in the city,” said Ali Becnel, mass communication sophomore. “Desolate places are conducive to crime. I love Fresco’s and YouGurt and Maple itself. Nothing is sacred anymore.”

“The whole situation is upsetting,” Becnel said. “Change isn’t always good.”

Justin Templet can be reached at [email protected].