Recipe for success

For many Loyola students, finding the right diet while in school takes more than greener goods

For years, Sally Struthers has waddled her formerly slender self across television screens encouraging viewers to slim down, reminding them only a few cents a day can provide a malnourished Ugandan child with food.

While Struthers’ campaign against world hunger contradicts her former eating habits, she is by no means alone.

According to the North American Association for the Study of Obesity, 64 percent of Americans are considered overweight or obese.

While these statistics cover much of society, unhealthy eating habits extend to college campuses and plague college students.

With the Freshman 15 and diets consisting exclusively of pizza, Loyola students are no exception to this stigma. Although Dining Services has taken measures to incorporate healthy options into the menu by deliberately preparing healthier meals, offering vegetable options in the Orleans Room and by “greening” the C-Store, many students fail to take advantage of these opportunities.

“I stick to the same things that I ate last year,” said Brett Raftery, mass communication sophomore. “While I feel as if the food in the OR has improved, the C-Store is depressing. The organic food is pretty disgusting, which is why all of that stuff stays on the shelves while the pizza, Red Bull, chips and soda get snatched up.”

Just as Raftery finished speaking, a group of freshmen approached, complaining about Kombucha, a raw organic drink offered in the C-Store. As the boys compared the drink’s taste to urine, a smile slid across Raftery’s face, raising his eyebrows in a gesture that clearly said, “Told you so.”

“It’s hard to eat healthy,” said Mary Beth Chapman, business sophomore. “With trying to balance an academic and social life, I don’t really have the time to focus on what I’m putting in my body.”

Chapman, who at 100 pounds is by no means obese, continued, “I definitely eat what’s available, what I can afford and what tastes good.”

According to the Center for Young Men and Women’s Health at Children’s Hospital, Chapman’s concerns are typical of college students.

In its guide for college students, the Center reminds students that eating healthy does not have to be difficult.

Doctors stress the importance of including all of the basic food groups in a daily diet:

GRAINS

Grains such as pasta, cereals and potatoes give the brain and muscles energy by providing the body with B vitamins and iron. Even if it’s simply a slice of bread, it’s important to incorporate grains into every meal in some way.

FRUITS AND VEGGIES

For years, students have been advised to eat their fruits and vegetables. These greens are important to have between five and seven times a day because by providing vitamins A and C, minerals and fiber, students help their eyes, hair and blood while also boosting the immune system.

DOES A BODY GOOD

“Got milk?” campaigns target the third food group, which not only includes milk but milk products like yogurt and cheese. With three servings of dairy a day, bones and teeth remain strong from calcium and protein.

PROTEINS

You should eat meat or other protein-heavy products like fish, eggs and tofu a three times a day. Protein helps build muscles, heal wounds and – most important for those living in residence halls – fight infection.

FATS AND OILS

The last, and certainly most popular food group, fats and oils, should be minimized but not totally eliminated, because they keep hair and skin soft, among other things.

When it comes to students’ eating habits, even professionals from the Loyola Student Health Services sympathize with the students.

“Students choose food for convenience, for what’s there now,” said Pat St. Ann, a licensed practical nurse. “While I understand that students don’t always have the time to eat three well-balanced meals, it’s important for them to get protein.

“If they’re cramming for exams and don’t have the opportunity to get a meal, smoothies work great.”

Chapman said, “I wouldn’t say that my eating habits are at all healthy. Unhealthy tastes better. I usually go to Tulane and grab Taco Bell or Quizno’s once a day. Later, I’ll grab a candy bar or something.

“Oh, and Rally’s. I love Rally’s.”

“I understand,” St. Ann said. “I don’t particularly care for the food here. I bring my own lunch. I like things cooked from scratch.”

Not all students are apathetic towards healthy eating.

Colleen Sheehan, a general studies sophomore with the aspiration of becoming a veterinarian, consciously decides her diet.

“When I wake up, I brew a cup of tea and eat Weetabix, this British cereal,” Sheehan said. “I try to go to Whole Foods or a local restaurant for dinner and order something light like sushi or tomato basil soup. I prefer to do that because I know that if I bring food back to the dorm I’ll eat it all.”

Sheehan said she chooses to eat healthy because she simply feels better and sharper when she does.

“I try to eat healthy, and that’s the most that I and anyone else on this campus can do.”

Justin Templet can be reached at

[email protected].