Money set for Etcetera scholarship

Etcetera, Loyola’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender student group, is in the process of selecting a recipient for a scholarship of up to $1,000.

The Geoffrey Scholarship, named after a freshman Loyola student who died in 2001, will be awarded to a student who “has demonstrated commitment and service to the GLBT community,” according to the group’s Web site.

History junior Tyler Douglas, a member of the Geoffrey Scholarship selection committee, said the group was inspired to offer a scholarship because of Geoffrey.

“Geoffrey was a friend of a lot of people on campus, and he had only recently come out at college. He was working toward finding his place in the community,” said Douglas.

Bret Pennison, a management junior and co-president of Etcetera, said the scholarship came about after years of work.

“We found out last May at the end of the semester that it was possible,” Pennison said.

Pennison said that after raising $14,000 through private donations and the Gayla benefit, Etcetera was able to begin an endowment. Funds for the scholarship come from the interest on that endowment.

Gayla is an annual dance put on by Etcetera as its major fundraiser.

Douglas said that he could not disclose the number of applications received and said that at least $500 will be awarded.

According to Mandi Moore, a history sophomore and co-president of Etcetera, an ideal candidate is someone who “has done something in their hometown or here to change the perceptions of gays or done something to benefit the gay community.”

Moore stressed that the scholarship is open to straight as well as gay students.

“I’m not gay, but I want to help the gay community because I feel that everyone deserves rights,” Moore said.

There has been little resistance on campus to the idea of the scholarship.

“Since we’re a social justice university, I think it’s a good thing Loyola has it. It shows our tolerance,” said Nichole Bloomer, a history junior.

Arthur Stern, Etcetera’s adviser, said that qualified applicants are those who fulfill the ideals of the Jesuit university.

“A person who has shown commitment and service in social justice work, hopefully in the GLBT community, but if not, just in the framework of the Jesuit outlook is perfect,” Stern said.

He said that a scholarship for gay service made sense at Loyola.

“Being men and women for others, caring and nurturing the whole person, and just being a well-rounded liberal arts school in the Jesuit tradition [makes Loyola an accepting university],” he said.

The deadline for applications was March 23, and Stern hopes to announce the winner at the upcoming Gayla benefit on April 9.

“We have a selection committee that’s looking at our applications right now, and with any luck, it will be ready by Gayla.”

Kelly Brown can be reached at [email protected].