Cross country has ‘more than hope’

More runners will boost the odds for the ’07 team

Despite five straight GCAC championships in six years, Loyola’s cross country program just can’t catch a break.

The team has dealt with more than its fair share of troubles since the last championship victory in 2004, when both the men’s and women’s teams won the conference. After canceling the 2005 season because of Hurricane Katrina, the two teams rallied the next year, making it to the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics national meet.

But, after both teams finished third, it was the first year since 2000 that neither team won the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference championship, despite having Matt Cagigal, A ’07, and Mary Erin Imwalle, mass communication senior, win the individual crown. Of those two, only Imwalle returns for this season.

“(Mary Erin) should repeat this year as the GCAC champion. She is a dedicated runner,” said head coach Al Seither, who is in his fourth season with Loyola. “We have a lot of new faces, but we just have to work through it and mold them into a team.

“We have two freshman girls coming in that aren’t bad runners. Both should run reasonably close to Mary Erin. This is more than hope. I feel the girl’s team can do very well.”

Twins and New Orleans natives Emily and Rebecca Reed, psychology seniors, are in their fourth seasons and are also the only other returning starters.

Their support comes by way of Rachel Leonard, sociology freshman, Margot Bienvenu, visual graphics freshman, and Kristen Francis, biology freshman.

“I think we’ve got some good people this year,” Imwalle said of Leonard, nearby Ursuline Academy’s top runner last year. Bienvenu, who was captain last year for nearby Academy of the Sacred Heart’s state championship team, will also provide a needed boost.

The men’s team is forced to move on without graduates Cagigal and Richard Bouckaert. They merited first and second place finishes, respectively, in last year’s GCAC championship and also led the men’s team to the NAIA national meet in Kentucky.

“It’s a big loss. They were the mainstays of the team and great examples of cross country runners,” coach Seither said.

Marketing sophomore Tyler Kaufman, The Maroon’s photo editor, hopes to anchor the team after finishing third among Loyola’s male runners.

Also returning is English writing junior Zachary Custer, a columnist for The Maroon. Freshmen runners include Sean Meleen, history freshman, Avery Mitchell, psychology freshman and Daniel Pattillo, biology freshman.

Their first meet of the season is the Tulane Invitational, which kicks off at 5 p.m. today.

RUNNERS STILL NEEDED

Coach Al Seither added that those interested in joining the team shouldn’t hesitate, as there are plenty of openings.

Contact him by e-mail at [email protected], by phone at 504-864-7395 or see him in person on the second floor of the University Sports Complex.

Chad Bower can be reached at [email protected].