Monroe Library’s first floor turns into Learning Commons

Loyola renovated Monroe Library over the summer to turn the first floor into a Learning Commons to make it easier for students to work cooperatively.

Workers moved current periodicals to the second floor and the DVDs to an open browsing area. They also brought in new furniture for the tower area behind the eMacs and took down the center reference desk.

Loyola made the changes to create an environment where students can collaborate on projects, study together and share resources.

A single, main desk also combines all needs – circulation, tech help and reference – in one place.

“A lot of university libraries are doing it,” said Mary Lou Sweat, dean of libraries.

She said that students work together more than they used to, and the Learning Commons was created to accommodate that.

The Learning Commons creates “flexible learning spaces where students can move furniture around, work collaboratively and have more space,” Sweat added.

The new floor plan focused on removing some of the furniture for individual work and replacing it with more tables and furniture that encourage group work.

“I thought it was fine the way it was,” said Josie Feldman, psychology senior. “But now I actually kind of like it.

“You can sit in a group with your friends, and everyone’s all in one location, so it’s easy to find people.”

Sweat will work with planning committees to make decisions on possible changes to the library for the 2008-2009 school year, but she assures that most of the modifications for this year are already complete. No plans have been made yet for future changes. Sweat said that the library will see how students and faculty are using the Commons and review what else might be needed.

Katie Urbaszewski can be reached at [email protected].