Young Wolfpack squad rallies in doubleheader

Infielder Bryan Mason, management junior, hits home plate Saturday at Segnette Field.
    Steve Kashishian

The Wolfpack overcame an opening game loss against Faulkner on Friday – twofold. Drubbed 10-5 in its debut, the ‘Pack returned the favor against Faulkner on Saturday with a 7-6, 7-4 doubleheader sweep at Segnette Field.

The difference, said coach Doc Beeman, was execution.

“We came out and were really sloppy on Friday and cleaned it up,” said the second-year coach.

The ‘Pack jumped ahead early in Friday’s game with a 2-1 lead after the first inning, but the lead diminished thereafter and the Faulkner Eagles closed the fourth inning with a five-run stomping, as they moved ahead 7-2.

On Saturday, with the first game was tied 6-6 in the bottom of the seventh inning, when senior outfielder Trey Fury sent a bunt to drive in catcher Kevin Fontenot, physics freshman, for the game-winning run.

In the following matchup, Bryan McCaulley, mathematics senior, hit a homerun to give the ‘Pack a 4-2 lead in the second inning. The ‘Pack lead the rest of the way.

Infielder David Lauricella, management senior, led the ‘Pack with five hits in the series. Outfielder Marc Jaynes, finance sophomore, went 4-for-11 with a team-high two homers and eight RBIs.

On the mound, reliever Brian Sullivan, communications senior, got the loss in Friday’s game. Reliever Bobby Alvarez, communications sophomore, and right-hander Chucky Benach, biology freshman, picked up the wins on Saturday.

Beeman was satisfied with his young bullpen, including Benach, who in his debut went 4.1 innings, gave up four runs and struck out two.

“Early in season we have a lot of unproven arms,” he said. “Chucky [Benach] was one of our top recruits. He’s extremely poised for a freshman. He kept us in the game and was very effective.”

Unlike many of Loyola’s sports programs, the baseball team, which plays in the spring, was not affected by the university’s closure last semester.

“The fact that we have been out for two weeks is enough not to have excuses,” Beeman said. “We’ll need to execute a little bit better down the line.”

Beeman isn’t getting ahead of himself, however, as he narrows down on Sunday’s game against 2005 NAIA World Series participant Spaulding – a team that Loyola defeated during the last regular season.

“I don’t expect anything different this year.”

For now, Beeman won’t have to worry about any road games. The ‘Pack is scheduled to play the next four games at home and won’t leave town until Feb. 24 to face Belhaven.

“No amount of practice will prepare you for when you put a different color type of uniform on.”

Michael Nissman can be reached at [email protected].