Health Services offering new tests to Loyola women

Birth control pills still not an option, administrators say

Health Services at Loyola is expanding its services this year to include pelvic examinations for female students.

Dr. Catherine Spiller, who specializes in adolescent care and who works through Louisiana State University’s Health Science Center, comes to Loyola to give the exams. She also works at the University of New Orleans and has been providing clinical services there as well.

Student Health Services nurse Terry Penton said it’s best to make an appointment for Spiller since the exam takes about 30 minutes, although appointments aren’t mandatory.

Students can receive pelvic exams, pap smears and breast exams.

They can also be tested for all sexually transmitted diseases which, according to Penton, “was going on before but not as extensively as it is now. It’s going on a lot more this year.”

As with the pelvic exams, this confidential testing is offered with or without an appointment.

Heath Services made the decision to integrate the new medical options this year because “we felt like the students needed more broad-spectrum care and follow-up on campus because they’re students, and they don’t all have a lot of money or time or cars to go where they need to go,” Penton said.

Despite rumors that Student Health Services will be offering birth control, university officials have declined to discuss the matter.

Penton said Health Services encourages Loyola students who wish to receive care outside of Loyola’s scope to use Planned Parenthood and Delgado’s free clinic. She said they can taking their pap smear and test results to Planned Parenthood on Magazine Street, an organization designed to help individuals with sexual and health concerns.

Health Services is also seeking student organizations to give talks to students about the services Loyola’s clinic provides and spread awareness about sexually transmitted diseases.

Before students arrived on campus this semester, Penton said she spoke to several resident assistants who were interested in hosting forums like these.

Several Loyola students said they are receptive to the possibility that Health Services might administer birth control for health or personal reasons, although they’re skeptical that it will actually happen.

“I think it is a good idea, but it will never happen,” visual arts senior Carrie Gillen said.

“Loyola needs to stop pretending sex isn’t happening with students because it is and always will.”

“I think it’s a terrific idea,” music composition junior Julia Howell said.

“I had the hardest time getting birth control this semester. Planned Parenthood costs a fortune if you don’t have insurance.”

Sally Tunmer can be reached at [email protected].