LUCAP prepares Spark leaders

Loyola+students+helped+New+Orleans+home+owners+save+money+and+the+environment+by+giving+out+free%2C+energy-efficient+light+bulbs+during+Spark+week+fall+2012.+LUCAP+organizes+Spark+week+for+new+and+returning+students+looking+to+get+active+in+the+community.+
COURTESY OF LUCAP
Loyola students helped New Orleans home owners save money and the environment by giving out free, energy-efficient light bulbs during Spark week fall 2012. LUCAP organizes Spark week for new and returning students looking to get active in the community.

LUCAP is training leaders for the upcoming annual Spark event, an orientation week of service for incoming residential first-year students held in the fall.

Every fall during the week before classes begin, LUCAP hosts a program called Spark. This week consists of an orientation for incoming residential first-year students.

On August 17, 2013, Spark week participants, referred to as Sparkers, will move into their themed living community in Buddig Hall. They will have the opportunity to start on their week of service before the rest of campus comes alive.

Each day involves several service activities, such as volunteering at the New Orleans Second Harvest Food Bank, St. Paul’s Homecoming Center and Hike for KaTREEna. Spark week will also focus on group reflection and team building.

During this week of service, students will get the chance to reach out to the community, learn valuable leadership skills and get to know fellow Sparkers all before they begin their first day of college.

Lauren Carroll, music industry freshman, said she appreciated being a part of the Spark program during her freshman year.

“I joined Spark mainly because I thought it would be a great way to meet new people and become oriented with Loyola at the start of my freshman year,” Carroll said. “I absolutely loved the experience of participating in service and living in a service-oriented community throughout the year.”

Mission and ministry fellow and LUCAP adviser Joe Deegan said that Spark is an important opportunity for freshmen and returning students to give back to the community.

“It’s important because it creates a community of shared interest around volunteer service,” Deegan said.

Spark leaders attended a leadership event on April 20, to prepare for this upcoming fall. The leadership training prepares Spark leaders for what to expect from the orientation week.

“It was to give the leaders an overview and a history of the program and let them know what the basic information was before they leave for the summer,” Deegan said.

Deegan said that the leadership training is essential to Spark orientation week and the training will continue through the fall.

Josh Daly, interim director at the center for community engagement, said Spark introduces the Jesuit values Loyola employs in a “very concrete way.”

“Spark allows students to get to know New Orleans in a hands-on way through service and critical reflection on social issues,” Daly said.

Mary Graci can be reached at [email protected]