Soccer season ends with 1-0 victory, team begins preparing for next year

Kathryn Streeter, International businees freshman, defends against Belhaven on Oct. 25 at Tulane´s Westfeldt Facility. Loyola finished its season at 6-11.

The Loyola women’s soccer team ended its 2004 season on a winning note Monday, defeating Louisiana College 1-0 at Tulane’s Westfeldt Facility.

The ‘Pack finished the season with a 6-11 record.

Carrie Lipnick, sociology freshman, scored the lone goal of the match in the 33rd minute. Lipnick’s goal came off general studies sophomore Lindsay Diak’s free kick. The ball deflected off a Louisiana College defender, and Lipnick was able to score the goal.

The Wolfpack outshot Louisiana College in the match 18-0.

“The last game demonstrated that we could pass the ball,” coach Emmy Therrell said. “We did everything but finish. It felt good that we were generating aggressive team play.”

The ‘Pack lost 6-0 to Belhaven College last Saturday in its final Gulf Coast Athletic Conference game of the season. Loyola finished 1-6 in the conference.

Therrell said that the dedication of the team made the season was a success.

“I feel like our season was intense because we had so much time together,” she said. “That really brought us together like a family.”

Therrell said that the team will retain 22 players from this season next year. She added that players are eager for the 2005 season, as they have already begun pick-up games.

“They are motivated to make the team better,” she said. “I’m proud of our team, especially the heart with which they played. I just wanted to win a couple of close game we lost.”

Therrell said that one of the most exciting moments of the season was a 1-0 ‘Pack defeat of Spring Hill on Sept. 29.

She said that another highlight was the second game of the season against Mobile on Oct. 20. The ‘Pack lost 2-0, but it was an improvement from the 8-0 loss it suffered to Mobile on Sept. 27.

“They brought their top players here and only won 2-0,” Therrell said. “We knew we were playing well.”

Gene Guillot can be reached at [email protected].