Volleyball third seed in regional tourney

General business freshman Mary Seals follows through on a spike against Dillard in the GCAC tournament at Xavier.

The Loyola volleyball team’s season high, eight-match winning streak ended Saturday as they fell to Spring Hill 30-21, 30-28, 30-25 in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference tournament championship at Xavier University.

“They are a good team with a fast offense that not many other teams in our conference can play at,” said accounting senior Shannon LaHaie, who had seven kills for the ‘Pack and made the all-GCAC team later in the day.

“I don’t think we adjusted quickly enough to come out on top,” she said.

The Wolfpack, down 26-20 in the third game, found a spark as they won the next five of six points. However, the Badgers fended off the ‘Pack, winning the final three points for the GCAC title.

With its second-place finish, Loyola advances to the regional tournament as the third-seeded team. They will play first against Berry College today at Lee University.

“We must be mentally prepared and ready to play longer and harder to accomplish our ultimate goal,” accounting junior Kelly Fridge said. “In the end, it’s to get to Nationals.”

Fridge had 34 digs and was named the GCAC Libero of the Year after averaging 6.3 digs a game for the season.

Communications freshman Sarah Howard had 33 assists in the championship game. She was named GCAC Setter of the Year after averaging 11.5 assists a game. Howard also has 66 blocks and leads the team in aces with 41.

General business freshman Mary Seals was also named Freshman of the Year in the GCAC. She has 304 kills on the season.

Loyola defeated Dillard in the semifinals 36-24, 30-25, 30-21. LaHaie and management senior Ashley Cobette each had 12 kills. Howard had 55 digs; Fridge had 25 digs.

In the first round, the ‘Pack defeated Belhaven 30-25, 30-15, 24-30, 30-28.

Chad Bower can be reached at [email protected].