Giorlando hires staff for 2004

Michael Giorlando, Loyola’s athletic director and men’s basketball coach, first encountered Jim Robarts when Giorlando played in high school.

While Giorlando was on the Jesuit High School squad in New Orleans in the 1970s, Robarts coached district rival Archbishop Rummel.

Robarts is part of the new coaching staff Giorlando named last week.

“We share a common philosophy in coaching, especially defense,” Giorlando said. “He’s forgotten more basketball than I’ll ever know. He’s a great resource on the bench.”

Robarts coached at Rummel from 1969 to 1988, winning back-to-back state championships in 1977 and 1978. His 688 career wins are the most of any coach in Louisiana history at the 5A level.

After leaving Rummel, he became the head coach at East Jefferson High School, where he remains today as the school’s athletic director. He stopped coaching the Warriors in 2002 after leading them to ten straight playoff appearances.

Giorlando said that he contacted Robarts a week before practice began about joining the coaching staff. Robarts comes to three afternoon practices a week, Giorlando said.

Robarts also received his undergraduate degree from Loyola.

Giorlando hired Alan Frey, Jeff Myers and Jack Culotta, as well.

Frey has won 13 state titles and four national titles while coaching Amateur Athletic Union teams. Meyers served as manager for LSU’s basketball team in 2002-03 while Giorlando was also on the staff. Culotta has been coaching at various levels for 10 years and graduated from Loyola’s Law School in 1985.

“We have a good combination of experience and enthusiasm,” Giorlando said. “They have tremendous people skills. They’re not trying to promote their careers. They believe in what Loyola stands for, and they want players to be successful on and off the court.”

Gene Guillot can be reached at [email protected].