Volleyball sweeps Belhaven College in Den

General studies freshman Sarah Howard and accounting senior Shannon LaHaie defend the home net in a sweep against Belhaven Saturday in the Den.

The Loyola volleyball team improved its Gulf Coast Athletic Conference record to 2-0 Saturday, after starting with 10 straight points in a home match against Belhaven College. The Wolfpack played at Spring Hill yesterday in a match-up of undefeated conference teams. Coach Tommy Harold said that the match would be a good evaluator for the strength of his team.Tiffany Stafford, biology sophomore, started the Belhaven match, serving for Loyola. The ‘Pack reeled off 10 straight points as Stafford used the jumping floater serve. Loyola won the match 30-24, 30-26, 30-13.”Tiffany hadn’t done much of the jumping floater serve,” Harold said. “I think the serve caught Belhaven by surprise because they haven’t seen it before.”Harold said that gaining the early lead in the match had both its good and bad sides. Despite starting the first game up 10-0, Loyola only won the game 30-24. “It’s a double-edged sword,” Harold said of the early lead. “You have a tendency to relax and let them back in. I don’t like to hit that comfort zone until the match is done.”Shannon LaHaie, accounting senior, led the ‘Pack with 13 kills and three blocks. General studies freshman Sarah Howard had 37 assists, and accounting junior Kelly Fridge had 19 digs. Stafford had 18 digs, and international business senior Lauren Landry had four aces.”Shannon had a nice, steady game for us,” Harold said. “We beat them with speed and didn’t make errors. A victory in three games is good against any conference opponent, and we won convincingly in the third game.”Loyola plays Sunday in the Den against Millsaps College at 7 p.m.

Gene Guillot can be reached at [email protected].