Baseball tied for second in conference

Shortstop Andy Rodriguez, communications freshman, attempts to throw a runner out at first in a game against Spring Hill at Segnette Field by tossing the ball to first baseman David Lauricella, economics/business sophomore.
    Ignacio Chacon

In a series that showcased their versatility and depth, the Loyola baseball team won a three-game home series at Segnette Field over rival Spring Hill on March 5-6. The achievement came as a result of solid pitching and hitting. This strong playing displayed the ‘Pack’s promise with mid-season approaching.

Last weekend, the Wolfpack dropped two of three games on the road against the Pilots of LSU-Shreveport. Despite the series loss, the ‘Pack is tied for second place with the Pilots in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference at 7-5.

In the first game of the Badger series, the score was tied 3-3 before general business junior David Sudyka hit a double, sending history sophomore Trey Fury home to win the game 4-3.

Loyola was scoreless until the sixth inning when economic/business sophomore David Lauricella hit a double, sending communications freshman Andy Rodriguez and biology junior David Greiner home off a hit-and-run play to tie the game at two.

Coach Gregg Mucerino sent communications sophomore Brian Sullivan to relieve a tiring Justin Harris, a marketing junior. Sullivan began the seventh inning with a full-count walk but got the next batter to hit into a double play. After giving up a solo home run to Banks Walker, Sullivan regrouped with a strikeout to end the inning tied at three.

Harris pitched six innings, giving up three runs on seven hits and striking out two batters.

The next game finished even more dramatically. The score was tied 5-5 in the last inning before Lauricella hit a grand slam over the centerfield fence, giving Loyola the 9-5 victory.

Sudyka led the inning with a double, before advancing to third on a sacrifice bunt by Greiner. Spring Hill then loaded the bases by intentionally walking communications senior Ryan Moity and communications junior Kevin Kalina.

Visual graphics junior Matt Franatovich entered the seventh inning to relieve physics sophomore Bryan McCaulley. Franatovich left the mound after allowing two hits, two walks and no runs.

The third and final game of the series was a defensive battle. The game was a battle of arms until the ‘Pack snuck by the Badgers in the eighth inning.

Communications junior David Musch gave up three consecutive singles after throwing four strikeouts and allowing only one run on three hits through eight innings.

His opponent, Aaron Barras also pitched eight innings, only giving up two runs on seven hits and had five strikeouts.

In the bottom of the seventh, Rodriguez broke the offensive silence with a double, sending Fury home to put Loyola up 1-0. Sudyka hit a single to left field to bring Rodriguez home, making it 2-0 Loyola.

After Musch surrendered a run in the eighth, Sullivan took the mound and retired the next two batters to stop the Badger’s rally and earn his third save of the season.

The ‘Pack won 2-1.

Versatility and depth were on coach Gregg Mucerino’s mind during the off-season. Last season was a rebuilding season, said Mucerino. But this season, it is becoming more evident that along with his team, Mucerino also worked in the off-season, recruiting from colleges and high schools.

“We’ve got a lot of depth,” said Mucerino. With 11 freshman and several transfers, the ‘Pack has depth at every position.

If last year was a rebuilding year, this season is a result of Mucerino’s hard work. The ‘Pack has already earned 14 wins, only four away from the 18 it had last year.

Chris Anderson can be reached at [email protected].