‘Pack not up to par with elite of GCAC

The men’s basketball team continued its struggles againt Gulf Coast Athletic Conference competition last week. The ‘Pack has now lost ten of twelve games, with both wins coming against Spring Hill.

The men’s basketball team played its annual homecoming game against Mobile last Thursday. In their first meeting with the Rams, the Wolfpack fell 78-57.

Though the beginning of the first half was discouraging, the ‘Pack fought back within striking distance at the half.

Mobile went up 14-2 before Loyola’s offense started to pick up with 12:28 left in the half. The Rams led 35-26 at halftime.

After English writing senior Jonathan Hernandez opened the second half with a three-pointer, the Wolfpack’s shooting struggles returned.

Mobile took a 50-29 lead with 15:38 to go in the game.

The ‘Pack closed to within 16 points with 8:41 left but would get no closer until a three-pointer by Daniel Schmidt over four minutes later.

In both meetings, Mobile was allowed to play very physically.

“As long as the game is officiated that way, it doesn’t favor us,” coach Jerry Hernandez said. “It’s not that we aren’t tough, but [playing physically is] not what we do best.”

Loyola ran out of gas, however, and lost 83-58.

“Toward the end, they just pulled away,” Hernandez said. “They have a lot of depth.”

The Wolfpack shot fair percentages – 42 percent overall and 33 percent on threes.

Mobile lit up the scoreboard though: They shot 50 percent on three-pointers for the game and made 68 percent of their second-half field-goal attempts.

The Rams shot 59 percent overall and had a better free-throw percentage.

They also dominated the ‘Pack in rebounds and assists.

“[Mobile] shot well in the first half,” Hernandez said. “When it looked like it couldn’t get much worse, it did.”

Jonathan Hernandez and marketing sophomore James Olivard each scored 15 points. Business sophomore James Bunn added 12. Olivard and Bunn each only missed one field goal.

At Southern in New Orleans on Saturday, Loyola took a 19-17 lead. SUNO then went on a 16-0 run, which general studies freshman Ryan Kinsley ended with a three-point basket.

History senior Dawson McCall narrowed the gap to 33-24, but the Wolfpack would get no closer.

SUNO led 41-26 at halftime. Loyola had no free-throw attempts in the first half.

The highlight of the second half for the ‘Pack was an 11-3 run from the 15:30 mark until 12 minutes remained in the game.

Loyola did not make another field goal until 5:37 remained. The Knights had gone on a 12-2 run and led 70-43.

Three-pointers by Bunn and general studies sophomore Joey Barnitz kept the SUNO lead from getting any larger.

The Knights won their tenth GCAC game 83-59.

“[SUNO and Mobile] are the two hottest teams in conference,” Hernandez said.

The two teams are now tied with Xavier for first in the GCAC.

SUNO only outscored Loyola by seven from the field. Hernandez was miffed by the disparity in free-throw attempts.

“They’re far more aggressive than we are,” he said.

Schmidt, who was three of six from beyond the three-point arc, led the Wolfpack with 11 points.

Hernandez and management junior Zach Tyson each scored 10 points.

The ‘Pack fell to 3-11 in the GCAC and 6-21 overall.

The Wolfpack were scheduled to take on Belhaven in the Den yesterday. They play at Dillard at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow.